Newer Boss Sd-1 mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer Boss Sd-1 mod

I have the newer Boss SD-1 pedal, could the C6 mod be done on these pedals or is there another way?

Thanks
    Jackson Custom Tele
    Epiphone G400 PRO
    Marshall DSL40C w/V30
    GLS Audio
    Ernie Ball
    Dunlop
    SD-1

Play music to skate too 🤙

Re: Newer Boss Sd-1 mod

I've heard Boss has moved over to surface mount components. These are much harder to mod.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

You can still find many minty older units for cheap online,,,just use the boss serial search to confirm it's not newer.

Comment

Yea I figured as much, managed to get an older one today, sorry for the useless post ��
        Jackson Custom Tele
        Epiphone G400 PRO
        Marshall DSL40C w/V30
        GLS Audio
        Ernie Ball
        Dunlop
        SD-1

Play music to skate too 🤙

Comment

Originally posted by Skater View Post
          Yea I figured as much, managed to get an older one today, sorry for the useless post ��
          I wouldn’t call it a useless post. If there’s a way to mod SMT pedals, it’d be cool to know how. Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
            I wouldn’t call it a useless post. If there’s a way to mod SMT pedals, it’d be cool to know how. Inquiring minds want to know.
            You can mod SMT PCB's, but it requires fairly expensive gear to melt the solder paste, and remove the micro-size components...

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
              You can mod SMT PCB's, but it requires fairly expensive gear to melt the solder paste, and remove the micro-size components...

Comment

It doesn’t require expensive gear to mod SMT boards. If anything, a desoldering braid and a whole lotta patience.

Last I looked at a SD-1, they were still through-hole. Same with the DS-1.
                Last edited by ErikH; 12-30-2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  It doesn’t require expensive gear to mod SMT boards. If anything, a desoldering braid and a whole lotta patience.

The DS-1 and BD-2 went to SMD construction in 2016, not sure when the SD-1 changed, but it seems Boss is changing over many of the popular pedals one at a time.
                  Al

Comment

I used to have an SD-1 a couple of years ago. Still full-size components. I think it's the Waza SD-1W that's SMD.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Unless you have a surgeon's skill, removing SMT components does take a little more than a desoldering braid, although I do agree with the patience, the issue is, removing components that have such a tiny footprint is not for the inexperienced, as you can easily destroy neighboring components if you're not careful....

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        I used to have an SD-1 a couple of years ago. Still full-size components. I think it's the Waza SD-1W that's SMD.
                        No, just read this if you won't believe me or the others that have posted about the SMD change on Boss pedals:

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/3203

That's how I found about it, and since that article came out one or two other Boss pedals have changed to SMD.
                        Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                          The DS-1 and BD-2 went to SMD construction in 2016, not sure when the SD-1 changed, but it seems Boss is changing over many of the popular pedals one at a time.
                          Al
                          Well damn. It's been a few years since I looked at the internals of either and last time I did, they were through-hole components. I know the chorus and delay pedals went to SMT about 10 years ago or so.

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
                          Unless you have a surgeon's skill, removing SMT components does take a little more than a desoldering braid, although I do agree with the patience, the issue is, removing components that have such a tiny footprint is not for the inexperienced, as you can easily destroy neighboring components if you're not careful....
                          I don't have a surgeon's skill. Is it more difficult? Yes. But not impossible. I did it once. Don't think I'll do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                            No, just read this if you won't believe me or the others that have posted about the SMD change on Boss pedals:

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/3203

That's how I found about it, and since that article came out one or two other Boss pedals have changed to SMD.
                            Al
                            Oh. I sure hope the SD-1 is still made with full-size components. I just snagged a GE-7 this week, and it's still full-size components.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                              Oh. I sure hope the SD-1 is still made with full-size components. I just snagged a GE-7 this week, and it's still full-size components.
                              You should consider the Analog Man $50 Ge7 Component upgrade. worth it -especially if you ever use it in an amp effect loop
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X