banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedal storage

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pedal storage

    I have a couple of plastic containers full of pedals that are not on my board. I am going to be putting together a music room in my new house, but have limited space. I'm guessing it is ok, but is it safe to store these extra pedals in a storage shed outside? I live in northern Fla and it rarely gets below freezing, (sometimes 29-34 degrees) but often is 100+ in the summer. Is it safe to store pedals out in a shed? im guessing its ok, just nervous

    thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

    Jol Dantzig

  • #2
    Re: Pedal storage

    No, humidity in Florida will kill those pedals -everything with oxidize contacts, solder points, components etc -you really need climate controlled areas -even if in a sealed plastic container.

    Whereever you do store them, Make sure to take all batteries out.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pedal storage

      The best way to store things you don't use is to sell them to somebody who will.
      green globe burned black by sunn

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pedal storage

        I think if you put each pedal in a ziplock bag and maybe a silica packet in each as well, they'd be ok. Again, take the batteries out. I don't know at what point temperature becomes an issue, but that should be one way around the humidity.
        Originally posted by Rockstar216
        Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

        Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pedal storage

          Put them on the wall like the That Pedal Show guys.

          Edit- Theirs are decorative, but you could put up trim with velcro on it, and have them easy to swap on and off the board.
          "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And it’s the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pedal storage

            I've stored pedals in bins, not in bins, in garages, etc. They seem to keep working. I am on the Gulf Coast, too.
            Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pedal storage

              Thanks all! Yeah, learned the hard way about leaving batteries in.. have one or two that I need to put a new battery clip or whatever you call it on as the corrosion ruined the stock one. ( the positive terminal ripped out of the tab part)
              Mincer, I appreciate you chiming in. Being a fellow Floridian, you know more what exactly Im dealing with as far as humidity and such.

              I have many of them still in the original boxes. the others, I may put in ziplocks. If I do put them out in a shed, I def may invest in some of the large silica pouches for added protection. good Idea Nacho8807!
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

              Jol Dantzig

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pedal storage

                I say keep them inside if it's even partly climate-controlled.
                Really you'd have to have hundreds of pedals for space to be an issue. (I'd think)
                Just think how many boxed pedals could be fit inside the space of a 212 cab. ( or a couple medium boxes)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Pedal storage

                  My new house was built in 1970's. It's interesting how much smaller closets and stuff were back then. I'm guessing because people didn't own so much stuff. If at all possible, I WILL keep them inside. However, I have them in 2 big plastic totes (the pedals that are not on my boards) and the totes are just sitting in the middle of the floor right now. The room that is going to be my music room is the last room of the house we are setting up. My wife is VERY OCD and so she wants everything in a proper place and out of sight is preferred for her.
                  We are going to buy a set of shelves that she wants me to put all the CDs on. Right now they are all in little plastic storage containers that hold about 15-20 and they are piled up. That will take up most of one wall; The amps and stuff take up a wall, one wall has a small closet in the middle of it and the last wall is where she wants to hang the guitars. So, doesnt leave me much (if any) place to put them.
                  So, we will see how it works out, but she isnt going to want those plastic totes sitting out in the room .
                  Last edited by BloodRose; 01-05-2019, 02:12 AM.
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

                  Jol Dantzig

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Pedal storage

                    Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                    My new house was built in 1970's. It's interesting how much smaller closets and stuff were back then. I'm guessing because people didn't own so much stuff. If at all possible, I WILL keep them inside. However, I have them in 2 big plastic totes (the pedals that are not on my boards) and the totes are just sitting in the middle of the floor right now. The room that is going to be my music room is the last room of the house we are setting up. My wife is VERY OCD and so she wants everything in a proper place and out of sight is preferred for her.
                    We are going to buy a set of shelves that she wants me to put all the CDs on. Right now they are all in little plastic storage containers that hold about 15-20 and they are piled up. That will take up most of one wall; The amps and stuff take up a wall, one wall has a small closet in the middle of it and the last wall is where she wants to hang the guitars. So, doesnt leave me much (if any) place to put them.
                    So, we will see how it works out, but she isnt going to want those plastic totes sitting out in the room .
                    OK,,,,, there's a woman involved,,,,,,,,,,,I understand completely now!!! lol

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Pedal storage

                      If it’s going to be a music room I’d really try to do the display shelving. If you setup the guitars and pedal shelves right it could look like a guitar shop. Super jealous, all my stuff is in totes and cases in the (unfinished) basement.
                      Oh no.....


                      Oh Yeah!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Pedal storage

                        Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        If it’s going to be a music room I’d really try to do the display shelving. If you setup the guitars and pedal shelves right it could look like a guitar shop. Super jealous, all my stuff is in totes and cases in the (unfinished) basement.
                        That’s what I did. I need to build a couple more now though.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	5B831377-694B-4B19-8F2D-22D76CDC4919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	5812507

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Pedal storage

                          Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                          My wife is VERY OCD and so she wants everything in a proper place and out of sight is preferred for her.
                          Can a wife be stored out in the shed in Florida?




                          Sorry, had to do it. ;-)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Pedal storage

                            Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            Can a wife be stored out in the shed in Florida?




                            Sorry, had to do it. ;-)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Pedal storage

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	63543615-5F5A-4ED4-A1B5-435D44FA37CD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	5812515

                              Something like this?
                              Oh no.....


                              Oh Yeah!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X