• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied
    Re: Phase 90 mods

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
    To mod a stock Dunlop Phase 90 (block logo circuit) to Phase 90 circuit actually takes more than just the R28 removal. There are about 5 component changes to get it to the exact script Phase 90 circuit. I found the correct mod on a DYI pedal builders forum, after doing it I had problems with ticking sounds from the pedal.
    I got the Whirlwind Orange Box (as well as the other two Whirlwind Rochester series pedals), it is awesome, has the proper original Phase 90 circuit and parts type, with added LED and true bypass switching. I bought it very slightly used with box and all paperwork for about half the going rate by bidding on Ebay. I say get it, if you want the true script circuit and sound. The handwired Dunlop version is good, too, but lacks the LED and true bypass.
    Al
    Yes, the original Phase 90 is a different circuit. The old script logo version I had used six 741 op amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Zombiwoof
    replied

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    I’ve done the script mod on a newer Phase 90. Also a mod to allow faster speeds.

The script mod removes the annoying regeneration they added, but it really doesn’t sound like the real thing. I had an original script Phase 90.

I’d just spend a bit more and get the hand wired script version.

Or maybe the Whirlwind Orange Box phaser.

To mod a stock Dunlop Phase 90 (block logo circuit) to Phase 90 circuit actually takes more than just the R28 removal. There are about 5 component changes to get it to the exact script Phase 90 circuit. I found the correct mod on a DYI pedal builders forum, after doing it I had problems with ticking sounds from the pedal.
    I got the Whirlwind Orange Box (as well as the other two Whirlwind Rochester series pedals), it is awesome, has the proper original Phase 90 circuit and parts type, with added LED and true bypass switching. I bought it very slightly used with box and all paperwork for about half the going rate by bidding on Ebay. I say get it, if you want the true script circuit and sound. The handwired Dunlop version is good, too, but lacks the LED and true bypass.
    Al

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Well, it all depends on how swirly you like it. Phasers are available in different stages, from 2 to..well, a lot more. The more stages, the more spinny and swirly. I tend to like more basic ones, like a Small Stone, which sounds different than an MXR. The best thing to do is try a few out somewhere and see what you like.

Leave a comment:

• DonP
    replied

I have yet to get a phaser, but I was thinking of getting the MXR Phase 95. Is this a good choice?

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

I was looking at them for around $50 on Reverb. I don't necessarily care that it sounds exactly like the original, just that it's good. Still better off with the more expensive one?

Edit- Wow, you guys are right... the script isn't that much more.

Leave a comment:

• d1dsj
    replied

Another vote for the Whirlwind Orangebox here, hold out for a great used deal and you’re done.

Leave a comment:

• Chistopher
    replied

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    I’ve done the script mod on a newer Phase 90. Also a mod to allow faster speeds.

The script mod removes the annoying regeneration they added, but it really doesn’t sound like the real thing. I had an original script Phase 90.

The hand wired script version is the best phaser on the market.

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied

I've done some and even have it all documented. The script mod is the most common. As said, it still doesn't sound like a script but it does help. IMO, it's not even worth it anymore to do with the various models out there. That and they are surface-mount now from my understanding. The answer = Whirlwind Orange Box.

To note, on the SMT boards, R28 is not the same part as R28 the through-hole component boards.
    Last edited by ErikH; 01-09-2019, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    started a topic Phase 90 mods

Phase 90 mods

Anybody have any experience modding Phase 90s?

Decided to stick with my Soul Food & Green Rhino for drive, and buy a Phase 90. I had a Small Stone way back when, but want to try the other classic phaser. There's a Script mod that's super easy, and a Uni-vibe mod I'm interested in trying.
Working...
X