Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volume pedal suggestion

Hi
    I want to add to my gear a volume pedal. I want it in the very first place of the board followed by a GT-OD, a BOSS chorus and occasionally a vox wah. This chain leads to a dark terror head (and in future to a 5150). Have you got any suggestion? Passive or active circuit? Impedance?
    thanks in advance

Re: volume pedal suggestion

If you go passive you need buffer. Unless you want to cut out high end in your rig.

Personally I'd try Dunlop this time if I was looking a volume pedal.

Boss uses crappy pots that develop quirks and break down and EB Volume pedals have that idiotic pulley system.

Dunlop design has neither flaws. I wonder if they have their own?
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Never had a volume pedal so really don't know what is the right solution.

Comment

The best feeling Volume pedals are the Ernie Balls -no competition in my experience

They have at least 6-7 different ones from passive to buffered to boost

https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-acc.../volume-pedals
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

EB's feel good. Assuming the spring system works in the first place, once the spring snaps you'll get yourself a long and painful project trying to get it work properly again.

I never got mine to move fully open or fully closed. I doubt it did even when new because it was notably duller than Boss despite being electrically exactly same.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
            Hi
            I want to add to my gear a volume pedal. I want it in the very first place of the board followed by a GT-OD, a BOSS chorus and occasionally a vox wah. This chain leads to a dark terror head (and in future to a 5150). Have you got any suggestion? Passive or active circuit? Impedance?
            thanks in advance
            Are you looking for a smooth pressure-controlled volume BOOSTER?

Or a passive master volume pot pedal to CUT signal volume before the power tubes?
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I want a pedal essentially for two reasons: I want to manipulate the gain of my guitar without having to change the position of my picking hand and I want to use a preset volume for normal rhythm playing, and go toe-down on the pedal when I need to boost the volume for a solo

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
                I want a pedal essentially for two reasons: I want to manipulate the gain of my guitar without having to change the position of my picking hand and I want to use a preset volume for normal rhythm playing, and go toe-down on the pedal when I need to boost the volume for a solo
                Then you need active volume pedal. Passives won't sound good for that.

They're good for dialing out the gain for cleaner sounds and adding dynamics to already set up lead tones.

EB MVP posted above is good choice, if you can live with the string system they have. I couldn't.

There is lots of other active volume pedals out there, but I can't recall out of my head any model names.

I use EHX Worm through exp. pedal for the same purpose. That's another option. Every booster pedal should have exp. out jack!

Comment

The EB volume pedals are my favorite. Thru-Tone makes a version with a super sturdy string. I use one of their EB Volume pedals as an expression pedal.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    The EB volume pedals are my favorite. Thru-Tone makes a version with a super sturdy string. I use one of their EB Volume pedals as an expression pedal.
                    It's not a problem with breakage. Standard string is sturdy. It's how to install it so:

a) It's 100% silent in toe up.
                    b) It's full on toe down.
                    c) It won't slip
                    d) It's centered for smooth action

Since axle isn't removable you have to roll it around pulley, add spring and then keep it under tight tension while same time rocking the pedal other way and installing that side. There you can only fit two fingers through the slid, and your fingers won't be long enough! So you need creatively hold the tension with some fingers in your other hand and same time push the string to catch the spring. One slip and you have to start all over.

Once you get that done, you get to try out if you managed to keep the tension without turning the pot. If you didn't it'll slip or won't fully rotate and you have to start all over.

Sorry for the rant. Still haven't forgiven all the time and nerves I spent on that pedal...
                    Last edited by Jacew; 01-17-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I use a Morley no scratchy pots or strings to deal with.

Comment

Thanks to all and sorry for the late reply. i spent the last hours gathered info e checking your advices

what do you think guys about this?

does this one deserve a chance?

Comment

I have three Morley pedals and all have performed great. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            I have three Morley pedals and all have performed great. I think you will be happy with your purchase.
                            thanks. I found out a good deal. Around 50 euro I can get a Volume Plus in a really good shape and with 40 euro a little alligator. I slightly prefer the first one but the little alligator is almost new

Comment

Ended up with the alligator. Perfect chromatic match with the GT-OD

Comment

Working...
                              X