Squareplugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squareplugs

I just couple of days ago noticed these in uraltone site. Instantly ordered bunch to get my flanger from hanging slightly outside the pedalboard.

https://www.banzaimusic.com/squareplug-sp500.html

They're really great. Not just because of the size, but smart desing otherwise too and they're sturdier than switchcrafts I've been using.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Re: Squareplugs

Those are cool. I use something similar thats not quite so cool.

IMO It's only a matter of time before pedal board audio and power distribution gets revolutionized -as the 1/4" phono standard makes little sense based on other connection/shielding tech available.

With 2-5 pedals nothing needs changing, but with the advent of these big pedal boards -a new standard is needed IMO

A couple of Pedal makers are eventually going to band together and revolutionize the form factor and standards and create a new standard.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      Those are cool. I use something similar thats not quite so cool.

IMO It's only a matter of time before pedal board audio and power distribution gets revolutionized -as the 1/4" phono standard makes little sense based on other connection/shielding tech available.

With 2-5 pedals nothing needs changing, but with the advent of these big pedal boards -a new standard is needed IMO

A couple of Pedal makers are eventually going to band together and revolutionize the form factor and standards and create a new standard.
      It will be like Apple with 30 Pins and Lightning ports, 1/8” headphones and Lightning ports and dongles/adapters of al kinds.

Probably something like the 1/4” to 1/8” headphone adapters.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        It will be like Apple with 30 Pins and Lightning ports, 1/8” headphones and Lightning ports and dongles/adapters of al kinds.

Probably something like the 1/4” to 1/8” headphone adapters.
        Maybe, I was thinking a flat shielded ribbon cable with a high end 90 degree locking molex connector or super high end single multi DIN LEMO locking connector

the ribbon cable would have:
        *the guitar signal
        *plus maybe a stereo path option for stereo pedals
        *extra conductors for MIDI or USB serial/IP control conductors
        *and embedded 9 AND 18V DC power rail.
        *oh yeah -you could add a loopback conductor so that you could automatically change the order of the pedals by switching at a controller pedal or homerum everything to the controller without and daisy at all.

This would simplify the cabling and distribution into ONE integrated plug and cable, make pedal shapes and sizes less restricted, add a control layer which is a game changer, integrate power which is a life saver, be more reliable and clean, and you would plug in a molex to 1/4" female adapter and the beginning and end pedal on the board for normal operation with your guitar and amp.

Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-17-2019, 05:24 PM.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah, sorry what I meant is that the old ones aren’t going away, so there will be adapters...
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Comment

I like those too, nice thread -2 options that appear better than my current low profile ones.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Yeah, sorry what I meant is that the old ones aren’t going away, so there will be adapters...
                definitely, my point it for big pedal boards there will be an adapter 1/4" to whatever on both sides of the board and then some crazy integrated cable for everything else.

a cable that at minimum has a Stereo Guitar path, IP/MIDI control layer, and 9/19 Volt DC power

It's coming -someone like Earthquaker band together with several other companies and will do it.

Comment

definitely, my point it for big pedal boards there will be an adapter 1/4" to whatever on both sides of the board and then some crazy integrated cable for everything else.

a cable that at minimum has a Stereo Guitar path, IP/MIDI control layer, and 9/19 Volt DC power

It's coming -someone like Earthquaker band together with several other companies and will do it.
                  If you're talking about something for the four cable method or to connect a pedalboard to a rack at the back of the stage, it's called a Pedal Snake and they've been around for years.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I had some similar cables. I just personally don't like those with melted connectors you can't fix if they go bad.
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

I don't believe that. That would still not work with most pedals anyway. If one wants to go that route there are so much quality multi-fx systems out there, it wouldn't make sense buy a set of specific pedals for the job. With regular system you can connect anything together.

Comment

I recently started switching to these low profile cables from EBS, and I think they're great. I might have to give a few of these others a try.
                        sigpic
                        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                          I recently started switching to these low profile cables from EBS, and I think they're great. I might have to give a few of these others a try.
                          https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...cm-angle-angle
                          Pretty cool. I’m curious to see how they hold up over time and use/abuse. Are the ends serviceable at all?

Comment

They don't appear to be serviceable. As far as durability, IDK, I haven't had them for a full year ye, and I don't move my pedals around on the board much.
                            sigpic
                            Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Working...
                            X