Power source for pedals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power source for pedals.

After 20 year's of playing guitar I'm finally starting to get into pedals. I still have a lot to learn though. One thing that I'm trying to figure out is what is a good, but CHEAP, way to power them. I'm getting tired of buying 9v batteries. I read a little bit on daisy chains but I really don't know anything about them. I was noticing that my Big Muff and MXR 78 distortion had the same plug, whereas my MXR Phase 90 and looper had a smaller plug in. Thanks for any help.

Re: Power source for pedals.

Originally posted by smitty302 View Post
    After 20 year's of playing guitar I'm finally starting to get into pedals. I still have a lot to learn though. One thing that I'm trying to figure out is what is a good, but CHEAP, way to power them. I'm getting tired of buying 9v batteries. I read a little bit on daisy chains but I really don't know anything about them. I was noticing that my Big Muff and MXR 78 distortion had the same plug, whereas my MXR Phase 90 and looper had a smaller plug in. Thanks for any help.
    MXR78 Badass, MXR Phase 90 should both be using the Boss Standard 9Volt Negative center pin standard. About 80-90% of pedal companies use this, Line 6 has their own dumb standard, and many pedals use a TRS 1/8" standard -like Rat -but the makers of power distribution and isolated transformer distribution have adapters to adapt Boss Standard to Line 6 and 1/8" -also the same mfgs make a 18 volt pickoff for 18 volt pedals

Which looper do you have?

Which Big Muff do you have? Original and Russian Big Muffs are battery only -at least all 3 I have.

Here are you power category options for your pedals.
    • You can buy a real isolated transformer power distribution system (most expensive and best)
    • a non isolated distribution system (cheaper, can be noisy)
    • a Daisy Chain power supply (one power supply with many power cables coming from the transformer)
    • use individual power supply for each pedal (fine for home use, and cheap but need lots of supplies and a power strip -sometimes annoying to deal with
    • use 9V batteries in each pedal (good for recording, annoying for everything else)

The companies that make power distribution bricks that I know of are:
    • Strymon -my favorite for quieting notoriously noisy digital modulation pedals like EHX Pitch Fork, and B9
    • MXR . -very good
    • Voodoo -very good
    • One Spot Truetone -they offer a budget option of a daisy chain -probably fine for home use and cheap -personally I didnt like but I play gigs not sure if your planning to.
    • Pedal Train -never used
    • Mooer -never used but i'm sure it's good.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

9v are much cheaper if you buy bulk from an online source like batteryjunction,,,,about $1 each for coppertops.
      They come in handy for specific applications like noisy problem pedals, recording, or when you are not on your main setup,,,,, and then also if your main source only has a couple 12v (old boss) outlets when you need another ect,..

I run the newer version of the godlyke chain and a 9v here and there for my minuscule needs.

Comment

TrueTone also has inexpensive and quality isolated power supplies (CS7, CS12.)

Time-based effects can be finicky with daisy chaining. You want isolated supply for those, though manywork with daisy chain just as well.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Personally, I use the Truetone CS12 and it’s fantastic. I’ve also used the TRex Duel Tank Chameleon which is good too.

This video is pretty good at giving you what you need to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

There are also Cioks and Dunlop’s ISO Brick and Mini ISO Brick.

I have a feeling you could probably daisy chain the drives and Phaser without issues. The looper may cause noise.

It’s not fun buying power supplies, but if you got something like a TrueTone CS7, you’d guarantee that all four weee isolated and still have three more outlets available for future expansion. The other option is to try daisy chaining and see if you get more noise than you previously had.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              MXR78 Badass, MXR Phase 90 should both be using the Boss Standard 9Volt Negative center pin standard. About 80-90% of pedal companies use this, Line 6 has their own dumb standard, and many pedals use a TRS 1/8" standard -like Rat -but the makers of power distribution and isolated transformer distribution have adapters to adapt Boss Standard to Line 6 and 1/8" -also the same mfgs make a 18 volt pickoff for 18 volt pedals

Which looper do you have?

Which Big Muff do you have? Original and Russian Big Muffs are battery only -at least all 3 I have.

Here are you power category options for your pedals.
              • You can buy a real isolated transformer power distribution system (most expensive and best)
              • a non isolated distribution system (cheaper, can be noisy)
              • a Daisy Chain power supply (one power supply with many power cables coming from the transformer)
              • use individual power supply for each pedal (fine for home use, and cheap but need lots of supplies and a power strip -sometimes annoying to deal with
              • use 9V batteries in each pedal (good for recording, annoying for everything else)

The companies that make power distribution bricks that I know of are:
              • Strymon -my favorite for quieting notoriously noisy digital modulation pedals like EHX Pitch Fork, and B9
              • MXR . -very good
              • Voodoo -very good
              • One Spot Truetone -they offer a budget option of a daisy chain -probably fine for home use and cheap -personally I didnt like but I play gigs not sure if your planning to.
              • Pedal Train -never used
              • Mooer -never used but i'm sure it's good.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190120_124438870.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	5812658
              This is just the starting of my future pedal board. But you see that my MXR Phase 90 is different than my MXR 78 distortion. Both the Big Muff and 78 have same plug but my phase 90 and old flanger are different. Do they make daisy chains that can go from one to another.

Comment

I’ve not seen a daisy chain with adapters, or different plugs (doesn’t mean they don’t exist, just that I haven’t seen one).

The power blocks come with a variety of cables to fit different pedals.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95430[/ATTACH]
                  This is just the starting of my future pedal board. But you see that my MXR Phase 90 is different than my MXR 78 distortion. Both the Big Muff and 78 have same plug but my phase 90 and old flanger are different. Do they make daisy chains that can go from one to another.
                  Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                  I’ve not seen a daisy chain with adapters, or different plugs (doesn’t mean they don’t exist, just that I haven’t seen one).

Of course I can’t remember where I’ve seen it but there are adapters that will convert the cabling to accommodate the 1/8 jacks from the boss center negative style.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    Of course I can’t remember where I’ve seen it but there are adapters that will convert the cabling to accommodate the 1/8 jacks from the boss center negative style.
                    There are plenty of those available at online gearshops, ebay etc...
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                      There are plenty of those available at online gearshops, ebay etc...
                      I think I have some downstairs in my parts box too. Iirc, I got them from Donner(?) when I ordered a cheapie power supply from them.

Comment

Has anyone tried the truetone 1spot?

Comment

I use a 1spot for my Zoom + AMR Vol pedal setup. I’ve also used it daisy chained for a full setup with two Strymons, a Wampler, a tuner, a Carl Martin and a couple others. Have to check the amps and volts and make sure your total is within range of the PS.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post

My Godlyke Power All chain came with several cables and plugs I'll probably never use.

Comment

Has anyone tried the truetone 1spot?
                              That is what I was going to suggest and they have adaptors for almost every pedal out there. I have a couple of them one on my gigging board. I never ran into a problem with the OneSpot.

Comment

Working...
                              X