banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamic expression.... Do other pedal brands have this feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic expression.... Do other pedal brands have this feature?

Or is it a patented feature that no other vendor can use?
    Who took my guitar?

Re: Dynamic expression.... Do other pedal brands have this feature?

Seems to me it is essentially the same circuit as a noise gate? Once you trip over the threshold the effect kicks in or out?

I can't see how it would be patented, although the name is probable trademarked.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
      Seems to me it is essentially the same circuit as a noise gate? Once you trip over the threshold the effect kicks in or out?

I can't see how it would be patented, although the name is probable trademarked.
      Not a noise gate, it allows the effect to blend in or out gradually or change othe parameter gradually based on playing dynamics. Oddly enough it looks like Fender just released some new modulation pedals at NAMM 2019 that are using a similar approach.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

They might be able to patent the name, but certainly not the concept.

Most envelope filters (or touch wahs) do this . . . the greater the signal from the guitar, the more it applies the effect. Most overdrive pedals work the same way too, harder picking will drive more clipping just due to the nature of how distortion works.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

However it works, I am interested in the concept.

Comment

The concept has been around awhile, but you don't see it much on modern pedals. This is not an on/off feature, either. It is as dynamic as your playing.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              The concept has been around awhile, but you don't see it much on modern pedals. This is not an on/off feature, either. It is as dynamic as your playing.
              AFAIK Eventide introduced it with the H3000. On that and their newer processors you can run dual programs where it'll one run set of parameters if you play softly and a completely different set if you play hard.

The one I hear most often is a delay set with a much louder mix and higher feedback when you play hard.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

On the SD pedals, you can usually reverse the Dynamic Expression feature, too, so the quieter you play, the more you hear the effect. This is great for, say, intros of songs before the heavy part kicks in.

Comment

That is a great feature. I watched the chorus demo and I can totally see a use for chorus on soft parts that goes away when you thwack those strings.

Comment

It's a great effect to have on a reverb. It makes the effect much more natural, and as the name suggests, dynamic.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Dynamics expression already existed in 60s pedals like the FuzzFace (even an hammering on and pulling off do not yield the same level of distortion !)

On the SD pedals, you can usually reverse the Dynamic Expression feature, too, so the quieter you play, the more you hear the effect. This is great for, say, intros of songs before the heavy part kicks in.
                      You are speaking of the Catalina ?
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

This is absolutely true. I have the Silver Lake and Andromeda and this is how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
                          Dynamics expression already existed in 60s pedals like the FuzzFace (even an hammering on and pulling off do not yield the same level of distortion !)
                          Yep but having gradually more delay/chorus/reverb when you gradually back the volume to clean up your sound makes it very appealing to me, just to avoid pedal tap dancing, I even hate having to tap a single pedal because I am already busy switching pickups and dialing the volume knob.

Edit: Maybe I should just practice more my pedal tap dancing
                          Last edited by IMENATOR; 02-01-2019, 12:25 PM.
                          Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                            Yep but having gradually more delay/chorus/reverb when you gradually back the volume to clean up your sound makes it very appealing to me, just to avoid pedal tap dancing, I even hate having to tap a single pedal because I am already busy switching pickups and dialing the volume knob.

Edit: Maybe I should just practice more my pedal tap dancing
                            See, that's the point, you don't have to tap dance. You don't have to be anywhere near your pedals onstage- it works that well.

Comment

Working...
                            X