banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Long Way to Love" (Britny Fox) what effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Long Way to Love" (Britny Fox) what effects?

I'm gonna try and make that sound with a detune and a delay with my Zoom G3N...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I remember playing that song back in the day, don't remember using any special effects though. Of course, we didn't geek out over stuff like that in those days.

It is a great sound, and definitely some slight detuning or something going on, I'll defer to LLL's superior ear and knowledge.

Comment

I just found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkcS1ZgkxX8
        The sound quality if terrible, but even with the VHS-to-YouTube one can hear that the guitar sound is pretty close to the record. Now that the Eventide has come up I can hear it pretty clearly. And the lead guitar player is on that ugly superstrat from the Japan video! Wonder what pickup is in there? I'm guessing JB, just because of the era?
        There are two Marshalls behind him - I would have assumed one was him and one was the other guitar player, but it seems now like he's running a stereo rig?

I think there is no great mystery here. It's a combination of them playing octaves rather than chords for the riff (watch their hands, it's obvious) and that detuning thing going on. Now that I know what to listen for it's so easy to pick out!
        Thanks to all!

Comment

RE: old video

What I see:

light-haired dude (Michael Kelly Smith) starts the riff out; keeps going.

dark-haired lead singer ("Dizzy" Dean Davidson) fiddles with guitar a little; waiting, then on the pause n hold (before returning to main riff), hits a power chord

then dark-haired lead singer ("Dizzy" Dean Davidson) just doubles up the exact same riff with whole band going...

Amps on left look like JCM800 2203 or 2204s (vertical input MVs). Cabs are JCM800s and would have G12-65s if stock.

Left-side amp section has only one mic on it.

There's another Marshall head on the right and two cabs.
          Last edited by LLL; 01-28-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
            I just found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkcS1ZgkxX8
            The sound quality if terrible, but even with the VHS-to-YouTube one can hear that the guitar sound is pretty close to the record. Now that the Eventide has come up I can hear it pretty clearly. And the lead guitar player is on that ugly superstrat from the Japan video! Wonder what pickup is in there? I'm guessing JB, just because of the era?
            There are two Marshalls behind him - I would have assumed one was him and one was the other guitar player, but it seems now like he's running a stereo rig?

I think there is no great mystery here. It's a combination of them playing octaves rather than chords for the riff (watch their hands, it's obvious) and that detuning thing going on. Now that I know what to listen for it's so easy to pick out!
            Thanks to all!
            Yup, it’s a A pedal tone while holding the D string 7th and G 6th. Then the G 7th and 9th are used to complete the riff

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              Yup, it’s a A pedal tone while holding the D string 7th and G 6th. Then the G 7th and 9th are used to complete the riff
              Ironically I figured that out playing around last night, but then watching the video confirmed it. Until now I've always played the 3rd/4th/5th melody on the B string while playing an A barre chord. (I do that a lot in my own songs so it came naturally.)
              Lead guitar player is hitting just those three strings, rhythm guitar player seems to be playing JUST open A string and and octave A on the D string.

It's the lead player's tone I really liked. Now that it's been demystified for me I'm less impressed but it still sounds good so there is that...

I had never even heard of Eventide until I joined this forum, now it turns out they are all over a lot of the recordings I've heard over and over most of my adult life!

Comment

Ironically I figured that out playing around last night, but then watching the video confirmed it. Until now I've always played the 3rd/4th/5th melody on the B string while playing an A barre chord. (I do that a lot in my own songs so it came naturally.)
                Lead guitar player is hitting just those three strings, rhythm guitar player seems to be playing JUST open A string and and octave A on the D string.

It's the lead player's tone I really liked. Now that it's been demystified for me I'm less impressed but it still sounds good so there is that...

I had never even heard of Eventide until I joined this forum, now it turns out they are all over a lot of the recordings I've heard over and over most of my adult life!
                Yeah, it sounds like you’ve got a hold on what they are doing. It’s just that partial A triad and playing around with the other notes. It’s a fun little riff.
                And yeah, LLL has got a damn good ear for this stuff. Plus his knowledge of all that gear is ridiculous!!! Lol

Comment

Yep... some examples:

https://vintageking.com/blog/2018/03...de-harmonizer/

H910 Harmonizer
                  In 1975, Eventide released the world’s first commercially available digital pitch-shifting unit, the H910 Harmonizer. Designed by engineer Tony Agnello as a tool for pitch shifting, delay and feedback regeneration, it originally sold for $1,600, which is about $7,500 by today’s standards. Although it was originally designed for studio use, the very first person to purchase the H910 was New York City’s Channel 5.

At the time, Channel 5 was speeding up reruns of I Love Lucy so they could run more ads. Of course, this also raised the pitch of the audio, which made everyone's voice sound obnoxious and screechy. Channel 5 used the H910 Harmonizer to shift the vocals back down to their original pitch, which allowed them to run the additional ads without driving viewers away.

For the first time, audio engineers were able to alter the pitch of a sound without affecting the duration — or vice versa. Although it was originally intended for vocalists to create their own harmonies while performing, the H910 was capable of so much more. Musicians began using it to manipulate sound in a whole new way.

A New Era of Signal Processing
                  During a pre-production meeting for David Bowie’s 1977 LP Low, producer Tony Visconti described the H910 Harmonizer as digital processor that “f*cks with the fabric of time.” Bowie was sold, and used the H910 on multiple songs, including “Breaking Glass” for the iconic snare sound.

The H910 was used to fatten up vocals on The Grateful Dead’s 1976 live LP Steal Your Face, and the opening riff to AC/DC’s "Back In Black.” It was used to achieve the steel drum effect on Led Zeppelin’s “Bonzo’s Montreux.” It can be heard on Tom Petty’s Damn The Torpedoes, Patti Smith’s “Because The Night,” and pretty much everything U2 did in the 1980s.

Although the H910 was intended for studio use, Frank Zappa used it in his guitar processing rig, and Elton John and Laurie Anderson used for vocal processing in their live shows. Eddie Van Halen created his signature guitar sound by running two H910s, each slightly detuned with a short delay, which came to be known as the “twin Harmonizer effect.”

The H910 Harmonizer was so well received, it was recognized by the Audio Engineering Society with a TECnology Hall of Fame award in 1976 (and again in 2007).

Comment

I'm actually wondering if that vid is really live.

Detune like that is no big deal today. For those who want to really nail Mr. Scary, eventide Ultra Harmonizer. Rack-Of-Doom was often Lexicon Delay/Reverbs, Yamaha SPX90's, and for those with the money, Eventide. Vai used them a ton too.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Here's 2 clips with some faux Britny Fox going on.

It's the same exact base clip for both; one without Eventide, one with.

One guitar only with a hint of Lexicon plate verb.

No Eventide:

With Eventide (dual 949 Harmonizer, +1 / -1 cents):

So, I'll eat my hat if that ain't Eventide Harmonizer on the dude's guitar in the real track.
                      Last edited by LLL; 01-29-2019, 01:44 AM.

Comment

LLL pretty much nailed it. But, I hate to be the one to break it to you guys, but most of the stuff on live TV is pre-recorded, except for vocals, those are often the only thing that's live. One of my best friends is an amazing drummer that toured and did TV with a very well known act for 8 or 9 years. They did the Tonight Show quite a few times back in the Leno days, the Today show, Dick Clark's New Years (and probably some others). They usually flew out a day or two ahead of time and recorded the music the day before the show.

Comment

Now you're breaking my heart and messing with my universe!
                          That makes sense but seems almost as risky as lip-synching the vocals - what if someone falls or something?
                          Next you're gonna tell me Pluto isn't really a planet!

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            Here's 2 clips with some faux Britny Fox going on.

It's the same exact base clip for both; one without Eventide, one with.

One guitar only with a hint of Lexicon plate verb.

No Eventide:

With Eventide (dual 949 Harmonizer, +1 / -1 cents):

So, I'll eat my hat if that ain't Eventide Harmonizer on the dude's guitar in the real track.
                            I believe you. I always heard it as some sort of flanger efgect, and in a way I guess it is. Thanks!

Comment

Now you're breaking my heart and messing with my universe!
                              That makes sense but seems almost as risky as lip-synching the vocals - what if someone falls or something?
                              Next you're gonna tell me Pluto isn't really a planet!
                              Sorry dude, but Pluto can still be a planet in your heart!

Comment

One thing Ive always wondered tho.... I know they prerecord a lot of that stuff and it used to be obvious in the days before wireless came along as you'd see the guitar and bass players and half the time they had no cables running from guitar to amp. You can fake with an electric guitar cuz they make little sound acoustically.. But what about the drums? How do they "fake"? Just curious
                                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X