• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital Delay Questions

Awesome Thanks, that was really helpful

Comment

But it isn't that simple. These days, complex digital delays can replicate the softness and round analog delay tone. They can also replicate things like tape wobble, distortion on the repeats, and oscillation. Digital pedals can have very long delay times, too. In an isolated guitar tone, with a few repeats at less than 300ms, it would be impossible for anyone to guess with absolute certainty if the pedal is analog or a digital pedal emulating an analog one.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        But it isn't that simple. These days, complex digital delays can replicate the softness and round analog delay tone. They can also replicate things like tape wobble, distortion on the repeats, and oscillation. Digital pedals can have very long delay times, too. In an isolated guitar tone, with a few repeats at less than 300ms, it would be impossible for anyone to guess with absolute certainty if the pedal is analog or a digital pedal emulating an analog one.
        Yep. Boss has been doing this forever. You just put a low pass filter on a digital delay and BAM . . . you've got analog pedal tone. Throw some flanging in - tape wobble.

My advise is always to plug a couple pedals in, screw around with them in the store for a bit, and then pick the one that sounds best to you. At the end of the day delay is delay.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          My advise is always to plug a couple pedals in, screw around with them in the store for a bit, and then pick the one that sounds best to you. At the end of the day delay is delay.
          Not a delay fan then?

I personally can’t stand perfect copies in repeats. Darker and darker is good, brighter and brighter is good, modulation, degradation, anything but a pristine repeat.

I am an analog snob, they DO sound better to me... but digital simulations are so good that the difference is nearly negligible solo and not apparent with a band.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I like the choice for perfect repeats or not- great for looping. I also like the expression pedal control that many digital pedals allow.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you want pristine reproduction of your signal at any gain level, I would recommend going digital. The Boss Digital Delays are really the industry standard unless you want to go super high end and get a Strymon.

It's also a matter of how much gain you use. To my ears, analog delays just don't sound good at super high gain levels. It just sounds thick and muddy to me. YMMV

Comment

I had been using a DD-6 for a long time before switching to a Carbon Copy. I sold the DD-6 not thinking I needed it, but honestly I wish I had it back now because they really can be used in different situations. After using both having one of each sounds really ideal to me.
                Originally posted by Rockstar216
                Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Can a digital delay like the prophet get a classic analogueish delay sound?
                  Answer: Don't know about that pedal but there are digital pedals that can do both voices very nice: Digital voice means pristine clean repeats while analog voice means warmer repeats ala Analog Man or Carbon Copy. I use an H2O v3 Chorus/Echo which as an analog voiced digital delay, in a live situation the analog voiced digital pedal works for me just fine so far. I think stereo spread of a rhythmic digital delay can be great too, I plan to get me a versatile digital delay some time.

Also s will it turn my entire signal digital when engaged?
                  Answer: It depends on the pedal, some have something called analog dry thru which means your dry signal is analog and the repeats come from a digital signal processor (DSP).
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                  X