No announcement yet.

Transparent OD with lot's of headroom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transparent OD with lot's of headroom?

Class A Boost Pigtronix run in 18v or 9v only on a wart though no bat tree
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

as someone that doesnt use a pedal board frequently, i dont buy pedals that need a power supply. if im only using one od or boost, i dont wanna have to deal with a power supply

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        as someone that doesnt use a pedal board frequently, i dont buy pedals that need a power supply. if im only using one od or boost, i dont wanna have to deal with a power supply
        I thought I was the only person left still using a battery! I'm with you: one or two pedals max, batteries for simplicity.

Comment

I'm very confused about the whole "high headroom" OD concept. I thought overdrive happens when you push a signal high enough that it starts to clip? Meaning that an OD would either have to make the signal so loud that the amp runs out of headroom and starts clipping, or the pedal itself clips the signal?
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Well, I take it as 'high dynamic range'...like an overdrive without an overbearing compression, so the volume knob on the guitar still works.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
              I'm very confused about the whole "high headroom" OD concept. I thought overdrive happens when you push a signal high enough that it starts to clip? Meaning that an OD would either have to make the signal so loud that the amp runs out of headroom and starts clipping, or the pedal itself clips the signal?
              That's what got me confused too. I thought OP meant he wants to push preamp harder...? Which is why I suggested boost as well.

Maybe it's about a pedal like Klon or something that acts as a boost in low gain settings?
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I interpret "OD with high heardroom" as a really dynamic OD with lots of output volume available.

But yeah, I agree. I think the OP should be looking more for a clean boost.

Comment

An OD that can run on 18 volts would be a great option. Keep in mind, almost any overdrive can be used as a clean boost with the drive down all the way and the level up all the way. Some work better than others in this configuration.

Comment

Have you tried an EHX Soul Food? It's pretty transparent and can really boost your amp.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      Have you tried an EHX Soul Food? It's pretty transparent and can really boost your amp.
                      OP did say he didn't want a Klon clone, though.
                      --------------------------------------------------------
                      1973 Aria 551
                      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Fulldrive 2s are pretty good. You can choose between no clipping and flat mids too. There is also the mosfet thing which i like and an extra level of boost. Kind of a swiss army of overdrives.
                        Also have a try of an xotic rc boost. I wouldnt leave the house without one. While im mentioning xotic and if you get the chance, try the ac and bb too. Really all excellent pedals with plenty of tone tailoring in their eq controls. Get all three and you can do any gig with any amp.
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-14-2019, 04:15 PM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                        X