Mixer maintenance and servicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mixer maintenance and servicing

While we're on the subject (and don't think this warrants starting a new thread):

Since this mixer came back from repairs: I can hear audio through both my monitors (connected to Sub Mix) and my PA (connected to Main Mix) when the faders are totally off. I would say it's faint but clearly audible (if that makes sense). In other words: I can clearly make out a song. Any ideas why this would be??? The repair consisted of, oddly enough, replacing both sets of faders i.e. Sub Mix and Main Mix. And they were definitely replaced i.e. they feel different, don't exhibit the issues that necessitated the repair, and I insisted on them returning the faulty faders to me (which I have). Dunno if it's worth sending it back (repair is still under warranty) i.e could take another month or two to begin with. Also: I now consider this as my "throwaway" or "workhorse" i.e. not particularly phased about the thing anymore. This being said: if this is indicative of a bigger problem that's about to rear it's ugly then I'd like to know. My big mixer is (obviously) dead silent.

Comment

Well, at this point, it might be worth it to start looking at something else. What model is this? What did you pay for it?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hi.

Well at the moment it’s working just fine other than this little annoyance really. Put another way: you wouldn’t be able to hear it (let’s call it a “bleed”) if the PA was on stage or in a “user” environment that had some background noise. It’s just audible in my home studio (which for all intents and purposes is a sound proofed “dead” room). But as I said: my other mixer is dead dead silent.

But as I also noted: very strange that these two mixers are sooo different from each other given that they are both of the same range. As but one example: all the faders on the small one (the one in question) including the new replacements are relatively “loose” (almost frictionless) and easy to move whereas all the faders on the big one feel nice and damped. Same even with the pots. But on the other hand the small one is more sensitive to an input signal than the big one. With the big one I find I need to dial my audio interfaces output by about a quarter turn more to get the right input level. They’re just really two very different mixers and until the big one packs up I would have to say the big one is actually a very nice mixer. Strange.

Small one is a Xenyx QX1622 USB. Big one is a Xenyx QX1832 USB.

P.S.

By the way: very important to me are the “solo” buttons. Those in combination with another switch allow you to set the levels of each channel or track independently with the LED/VU meter and without the channels or tracks being audible. I know the Alto didn’t have this feature and I don’t recall the Mackies that I have seen having this either. Just saying (if any suggestions are to be made).
        Last edited by dpaterson; 02-11-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

My old one was a UB1622FX [ No USB the main diff ] The new one is a QX2222USB. As I said before, the new one seems to be much better quality.
          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Who knows with these things. Maybe they also change factories or manufacturers periodically like guitar companies. There’s only a few months difference between my two mixers but they’re like two totally different mixers from a quality point of view it would seem. Maybe the bigger mixers (more channels, outputs, EQ, etc.) are assembled by more qualified personnel or made in a different factory from the cheaper models. As I said: who knows.

Comment

Working...
            X