King of Tone versus Angry Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of Tone versus Angry Driver?

I recently got the chance to try out a Boss Angry Driver dual overdrive, and I must say I'm impressed. The Angry Charlie circuit is spot on and the modded BD-2 circuit is oodles better than the standard version. My question, for those of you who have tried both, is how exactly does it compare to the Analogman King of Tone?

One of the chief things I like about the Angry Driver is that there are two completely different distortion circuits that have a switch to use them in 6 different ways. The King of Tone does not have such flexibility, as you need an outside unit to control the switching options. Money is not a consideration, but I don't intend on buying both.

So here are the main points I want to hit on:

1 - How exactly do the tones from each of these pedals compare? How does the yellow channel OD compare to the Blues Driver and how does the Red channel distortion compare to the Angry Charlie?

2 - Which is more flexible and easy to use on stage? I'm assuming with an external foot switch it's the JB-2, but I'm running short of room on my pedal board, so I'd like to avoid using one.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: King of Tone versus Angry Driver?

the kot does have three options per channel but you have to preset each channel internally. never tried the angry driver but the kot is a great pedal

Comment

King of Tone versus Angry Driver?

Different circuits. You can set both to similar levels of OD but they will still sound different. I think at the end of the day it's which circuit works best with your rig and music.

I liked the KoT but the JB-2 is two completely different circuits so you likely have more flexibility. Also in terms of how to combine them.

Btw the JB2 is discounted to 129 today here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

FTR I got the KoT after a long wait and it didn't move my Suhr Eclipse from the board. Not saying it's better, just that there's a billion dual ODs there and likely one works for you but you have to try it. A shame I flipped the KoT already, you could have given it a try.
      Last edited by Blille; 02-05-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I've had a few drinks and can't remember when my KoT date is, but I'm really, really looking forward to it. Which reminds me, I need to sell some stuff...
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Damn... And here I thought this would be something lulzy about some delusional youtuber playing chicken with a superduty (and losing spectacularly)
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

the KoT is great for what it is, as is the Angry Charlie, but they are completely different tonally and gain-wise. The higher gain setting on the KoT has nowhere near as much gain as the Angry Charlie.
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Working...
            X