NPD: Get yer MojoMojo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Get yer MojoMojo!

It's at home waiting for me. A TC Electronics MojoMojo Overdrive. After selling all my pedals in the fall/winter of 2017/2018, I swore I didn't need anything. I had picked up bass anyway and didn't need anything anyway. Fast forward to when our guitar player had a heart attack and I stepped up for a gig on guitar. All good. Right? Nope. I picked up a Cantrell Crybaby (which is amazing) and recently I decided I could get a pseudo 4-channel setup with my amp and a good overdrive. Enter the MojoMojo. I've had good overdrives before and ended up selling them all. I'm looking forward to trying this one out with my amp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MojoMojo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	5850651

Re: NPD: Get yer MojoMojo!

I think you'll like it. I sold mine, bought it again. It's cheap and the OD is not unique but the EQ is super useful and what for me sets it apart is how touch sensitive it is. I essentially put it first in line to add more grit when I dig in and to tweak the EQ for the particular room where I'm playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
      I think you'll like it. I sold mine, bought it again. It's cheap and the OD is not unique but the EQ is super useful and what for me sets it apart is how touch sensitive it is. I essentially put it first in line to add more grit when I dig in and to tweak the EQ for the particular room where I'm playing.
      The bass control and the voicing toggle got my attention. All the demo's I saw and read talked about the touch sensitivity too.

Originally posted by Lampy H
      I don’t if he still uses it, but Paul Gilbert used to swear by this pedal in front of his Marshalls.
      I believe he still does. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.
      Last edited by ErikH; 02-08-2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Had one as well....did sell it though, did not work with my main amp...it is quite the full sounding amp I got, and the MM is fat bottomed entity
        But it is a nice pedal...

Comment

I had one too. Played it couple of days and sold it.

It did sound good in a general sense, good eq and had touch sensitivity like said. Which was why I bought it.

There was something in it's drive character that really bugged my ear. It sounded somehow "fake", like modeler emulating overdriven amp rather than being good overdrive in front of an amp.

I perhaps use the term "plasticky" too often in regards of tone, but this is another pedal where that just fits perfectly describing my impression.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

^Why don't you change to acoustics instead??
            And use Elixir strings...oh wait....

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
              ^Why don't you change to acoustics instead??
              And use Elixir strings...oh wait....
              Heh... I guess 80 % of my tone comes from growling preamp tubes. Unless it's it's from fuzz or power amp...
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

One thing I noticed right away with it is how quiet it is even with the drive all the way up. No hiss like other overdrives. So far I'm digging it. I set my amp to have very little breakup and a little brighter than I otherwise would have it and kick the MojoMojo on for more. It fattens right up and sounds really sweet to my ears. I'm still messing with and trying different things. Very touch sensitive, which I like because if I wanted to leave it on and roll the guitar volume down, I can and not have to worry about it not cleaning up. Can't say that the TS and variants I've used do that this well. What I'm curious about is how long a 9V battery lasts as it appears the circuit voltage is pumped up a little inside, which is nice. More headroom. Oh, and the center detent on the treble and bass controls is a nice touch.
                Last edited by ErikH; 02-08-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I've used those and the Dark Matter distortion, both are great pedals in the right setting. The DM isn't an over the top gain monster, it makes a nice booster too with the drive low, I would recommend checking one of those out too if it comes up for a good deal (I think they are both still $49 new).

Comment

I've tried many distortions and I simple do not get a long with them. I prefer the soft clipping circuit of an overdrive. Next rehearsal is Friday night so I'll know for sure then how it fares with the band. I am liking it so far. The voice switch down is better for me. It cuts the bass just a tad so it's not so much it muds up but I can see where that setting can be handy, such as in a low gain type setting.

Comment

I understand, the DM is different than most, it's nothing like a DS-1.

Comment

Well, after messing with it some more this week, I don't think it's gonna work for me in my guitar rig. Even with the voice switch down, there's some low string mud that happens and I've tried everything possible to get rid of it. It's not even low end as in bass mud. The low strings mud up and the gain isn't even that high on the amp, fairly clean actually. While it is a cool overdrive, it's simply not the answer for my rig. I'll keep using the amp as I have been and get all the drive I need from it. No problems that way.

However, I did discover that it is fantastic with my bass rig setup. Plenty of low end still (thanks to that bass knob) and I can add some grit without losing the bass definition. So, all is not lost.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 02-17-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          Well, after messing with it some more this week, I don't think it's gonna work for me in my guitar rig. Even with the voice switch down, there's some low string mud that happens and I've tried everything possible to get rid of it. It's not even low end as in bass mud. The low strings mud up and the gain isn't even that high on the amp, fairly clean actually.
                          Had the exact same problem with my EHX OD Glove. Very frustrating. Finally gave up and replaced it two weeks ago.
                          --------------------------------------------------------
                          1973 Aria 551
                          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                          X