banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching from multi-effects to a pedal board...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Switching from multi-effects to a pedal board...

Oops, missed specific question about integrating pedals & multi-effects. Jacew is on the right track, some sort of looper, though given you have a multi-effects, I'd probably look into one that is MIDI-controllable. If you don't want all your pedals on at once, or to deal with tapdancing to switch their states when you switch patches (or snapshots, if you upgrade to a modern multi-effects or modeller), the looper will still be useful. I don't know which to recommend, features and price vary a lot, especially if you want integrated effects (which don't tend to have as much routing flexibility as flagship modellers).

You also mentioned stereo guitars... The flagship Helix has 4 separate inputs, simultaneously usable. And support for Line 6's VDI for Variax input, which I believe can simultaneously do variax digital guitar modelling on one channel while doing the guitar electronics on another.f

I've heard of people using the Helix for vocals, 2 guitars and bass at the same time. Relatively simple chains for each, though (for instruments, 1 dirt or compressor, amp+cab, modulation, delay and reverb, and that's about all that can fit). Most I've messed with is a patch for 2 guitars, one panned left into a JTM45 model with G12H30-55 cab with hint of room reverb, one right into a JMP model with G12M25 with a bit of tape delay and plate reverb.

HX Effects only has stereo input, but it keeps the dual send/returns (which can be used as 2 mono loops, or one stereo). It can't do 4 paths at once, maxes out at 2. If 2 loops are enough, and they don't need to be stereo, HX Effects may do everything you need in one box. It even has a pair of switch ports for controlling amps or other effects. Plus MIDI & USB.

Comment

Re: Switching from multi-effects to a pedal board...

I did what you are doing. Had a pedal board with multiple delays, choruses, reverbs and amp sim pedals, and used a loop switcher to effectively change entire chains. Heavy is hell. The switcher was $400, one reverb was $300, one of the delays was $300. After several of those, the board was way more than double the value of my amp.

Now I just use a $99 Zoom MS-50G and a $110 AMT volume pedal on a Pedaltrain Nano board and sling it over my shoulder when I carry my guitar to the gig. I think you can have up to 6 effects in any order and there’s 50 user presets you can cycle through, so it’s like having 50 pedal boards. Has emulations of just about every chorus, reverb, flange and amp you could want. The only thing I need is a mini wah and it would be complete.

I don’t miss my old board. Maybe a couple effects were higher quality sound, but not worth the cost, weight and space. The amp sims in the Zoom are better than almost all my pedals and rack versions. Don’t miss the old board. If I needed more sophisticated chaining/ordering I would just get a second Zoom.

If I were seriously going to spend the thousands of dollars for a real flexible multi-chain pedal board again, then the AxeFX / Kemper kind of thing might be a much better option.

Comment

Working...
      X