Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPBD: Mini Board

This one is built on an old school Holeyboard courtesy of stratguy23

Signal chain is: Pitchblack -> Pickup Booster -> Phase 90 -> Maxon OD-9 -> CH-1 -> DD-2, while power is provided by a Visual Sound One Spot.

It's similar to the board I used with my 2555 years ago, when I only used the lead channel and rolled the volume down for cleans. I could use it with either Jubilee, but it's mostly intended for my Lead 12 Mini Stack. While it's true that these are mostly rejects from my main board, they ended up working well with the Lead 12. I leave the Lead 12 set at the edge of breakup and slam the front end with the OD-9 for essentially a JCM800 tone. The Pickup Booster can be used as a lead boost, or on its own without the OD-9 for a mild breakup. I ended up not liking the CH-1 with my other amps, but it's quiet and sounds pretty good with the Lead 12. The Phase 90 and DD-2 need no explanation.
    Last edited by dystrust; 02-09-2019, 10:36 PM.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Re: NPBD: Mini Board

That would be almost my exact one, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nice. Good to see phaser pre OD You don’t use reverb?

Comment

Very functional I could definitely gig with that board. You seem to have everything covered in a neat footprint.

Comment

Like your phase distorted eh? One of those.....

Maxon OD - Classy
          SC-1 - Classic
          DD-2? PRIMAL!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Looks fun!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Like your phase distorted eh? One of those.....

Maxon OD - Classy
              SC-1 - Classic
              DD-2? PRIMAL!
              I really built this board for my Lead 12

It doesn't have a loop, so I have to run the entire board out front. I likewise don't use the loop in my 2555 because it isn't buffered and sounds pretty lousy with stomp boxes (rack processors sound fine though). I've never tried the loop in the 2525, so I have no idea whether or not the issue(s) were fixed.

I tried the Phase 90 after the OD-9, but liked it better before. I tend to think of Billy Corgan or Mike McCready when it comes to phase, and they run theirs in front of a distorted amp, Jimmy Page too.

I have both a DD-2 and long chip DD-3, and the DD-3 is on my big board. This board will seldom (if ever) leave the house, so I'm using the DD-2 here since it honestly looks almost new. When it comes to non-programmable delays these are my favorite since IMO they combine the best elements of both analog and digital sounds. I have the DD-2 set up for a sort of EVH Echoplex sound, but with a bit more definition and punch.

BITD I bought the CH-1 because it was cheap and quiet (almost zero hiss) when run into the front of an overdriven amp. Once I got my hands on a silver screw CE-2, the CH-1 disappeared into a box for over a decade. I prefer the CE-2 with my Jubilees, but the extra high end sheen of the CH-1 works really well into a dirty amp with the volume rolled down. Did I also mention it's quiet?

Originally posted by Blille View Post
              Nice. Good to see phaser pre OD You don’t use reverb?
              I have a Boss FRV-1 on my big board, but I don't have a reverb here because the Lead 12 just isn't clean enough for it to sound decent. This is a back to basics board that more reflects the school of thought that I came from, rather than the more diverse palette of sounds I tend to prefer now.
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Excellent work, sir. I'm glad to see you're putting the ol' board to good use!

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                  I really built this board for my Lead 12
                  Secks. Pure secks....
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Secks. Pure secks....
                    I know it's solid state, but throw a TS in front and you've got a mini JCM800 that won't leave you for deaf
                    Last edited by dystrust; 02-10-2019, 07:33 PM. Reason: Stupid tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X