Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overdrive pedal for solos

I'd suggest an EQ pedal

Back when I used pedals, I used a TC Electronic Spark Mini clean boost for solos, but I didn't have a problem with thinning out. My tone was already present in the mix, so I only needed around 4 more dBs to be right at the forefront of the band. Since thinning out appears to be an issue here, I suggest getting an EQ.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      What kind of music are you playing, what do you want your guitar to sound like?
      Long story short, at the moment we play rock/hard with a bit of metal (Metallica).
      This week we'll endorse a new female singer so the playlist could change too.

My goal is to have thicker sound during solos, at the moment it seems weak and cold on higher notes.
      Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind

Comment

Originally posted by blind1 View Post
        An Equalizer pedal will allow you certain options: if you put the pedal in front of the amp (guitar -> EQ -> amp), then you can shape the tone and also add more gain to the signal. If you put the EQ in the FX Loop of an amp (guitar -> amp -> FX loop -> return), then you can shape the final tone and even increase its volume with the EQ pedal.

Two different pedals to look into that meet your budget if you buy them USED:

MXR Ten Band EQ - https://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR/Ten-Band-EQ-Pedal.gc
        Boss GE-7 EQ - https://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/GE...lizer-Pedal.gc

It would behoove you to read reviews and see how other people are using these.
        Ok, thanks for the reply.
        It seems like an EQ pedal is what I'm looking for.

Another noob question: any problems for signal quality? I've read stuff about true-bypass pedals, is this the case?
        Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind

Comment

I was gonna suggest an EQ pedal instead. A lot of control there...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Cob85 View Post
            Ok, thanks for the reply.
            It seems like an EQ pedal is what I'm looking for.

Another noob question: any problems for signal quality? I've read stuff about true-bypass pedals, is this the case?
            IMO, true bypass pedals are just a big meme.

When you have a big enough board you will have to stick a dedicated buffer somewhere anyways.

I wouldn't worry unless the pedal in question has an extremely bad built-in buffer or relay system (I'm looking at you, Crybaby Wahs)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by Myaccount876
            Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Switching to the neck pickup would be a natural way to go for thicker solo tone.

If that isn't an option for whatever reason, then, in addition to the EQ pedal ideas mentioned here, I'll mention 3 other possible ways to go. EQ pedals are super useful, but sometimes one wants the flavor of a dedicated boost/overdrive:

1. Tubescreamer-type pedal. This emphasizes the upper midrange frequencies. You will cut through the mix for sure. But a Tubescreamer pedal usually cuts bass (to help tighten up sound), so I'll suggest 2 kinds of TS-type pedals that may not cut so much bass:

a. Seymour Duncan 805 - Perhaps the most versatile overdrive pedal around with its 3-band EQ. You can dial it in to be like a TS, but still keep the bass. A used 805 will be at the top end of your $50-$100 range.
              b. Boss SD-1 - Not the same type of clipping as a TS-style pedal, but in practice does the same thing as TS-type pedal: add midrange emphasis. I find the SD-1's mid hump to be thicker than that of a typical TS-pedal, so this may be a good candidate for you, OP. The SD-1 is certainly within your price range. The SD-1W Waza version has a "Custom" setting that makes the tone even thicker, but that will be outside your price range.

2. Clean boost pedal. No frequency emphasis, just makes your signal louder. This may do the job simply by pushing your amp harder. Some amps thicken up when pushed harder, but in my experience, a clean boost is just that - more volume. This may not be the fastest way to add beef to your tone.

3. Klone (Klon) type pedal. This emphasizes the lower midrange frequencies (i.e., those of "beef"). I have found Klone-type pedals to be fantastic for the exact purpose OP describes, thickening up solos. I would recommend a used Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, which is within OP's price range. I also quite like the MXR Sugar Drive, also within OP's price range.

I will also caution that while an EQ pedal will certainly shape tone, adding frequencies by EQ can introduce noise into the tone. Just because I shape my EQ pedal into a mid-hump doesn't make it a Tubescreamer. The tone is certainly spicier, but it may or may not have the same flavor, if that makes any sense.

Finally, OP will want to experiment with putting pedals in the effects loop vs. in front of the amp. Different results will be gotten from pushing the power section vs. the preamp section of the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by blind1 View Post
                Every guitar + pedal + amp responds differently.

My first suggestion: find an amp that does what you want it to do. A Marshall JVM amp its extremely versatile and will do everything you described without the need for pedals.

My alternative suggestion: try an EQ pedal in the FX loop. A good EQ pedal can act as a clean boost and you can also dial in/out certain frequencies if you'd like.
                I agree completely. An eq in the loop is likely the best way to go. Set it for a slight volume boost and eq till you get the exact tone you want.
                If you play with a high gain setting any boost in front of the amp won’t give you a volume boost....you’ll already be out of headroom. (Most likely).

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
                  Switching to the neck pickup would be a natural way to go for thicker solo tone.

If that isn't an option for whatever reason, then, in addition to the EQ pedal ideas mentioned here, I'll mention 3 other possible ways to go. EQ pedals are super useful, but sometimes one wants the flavor of a dedicated boost/overdrive:

1. Tubescreamer-type pedal. This emphasizes the upper midrange frequencies. You will cut through the mix for sure. But a Tubescreamer pedal usually cuts bass (to help tighten up sound), so I'll suggest 2 kinds of TS-type pedals that may not cut so much bass:

a. Seymour Duncan 805 - Perhaps the most versatile overdrive pedal around with its 3-band EQ. You can dial it in to be like a TS, but still keep the bass. A used 805 will be at the top end of your $50-$100 range.
                  b. Boss SD-1 - Not the same type of clipping as a TS-style pedal, but in practice does the same thing as TS-type pedal: add midrange emphasis. I find the SD-1's mid hump to be thicker than that of a typical TS-pedal, so this may be a good candidate for you, OP. The SD-1 is certainly within your price range. The SD-1W Waza version has a "Custom" setting that makes the tone even thicker, but that will be outside your price range.

2. Clean boost pedal. No frequency emphasis, just makes your signal louder. This may do the job simply by pushing your amp harder. Some amps thicken up when pushed harder, but in my experience, a clean boost is just that - more volume. This may not be the fastest way to add beef to your tone.

3. Klone (Klon) type pedal. This emphasizes the lower midrange frequencies (i.e., those of "beef"). I have found Klone-type pedals to be fantastic for the exact purpose OP describes, thickening up solos. I would recommend a used Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, which is within OP's price range. I also quite like the MXR Sugar Drive, also within OP's price range.

I will also caution that while an EQ pedal will certainly shape tone, adding frequencies by EQ can introduce noise into the tone. Just because I shape my EQ pedal into a mid-hump doesn't make it a Tubescreamer. The tone is certainly spicier, but it may or may not have the same flavor, if that makes any sense.

Finally, OP will want to experiment with putting pedals in the effects loop vs. in front of the amp. Different results will be gotten from pushing the power section vs. the preamp section of the amp.
                  I've done the math on these suggestions, and they check out.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hi and thanks for the explanation.
                    Neck pickup is a Duncan Designed magnet, I like the tone it has for clean tones but for solos it's really weak.
                    I was actually wondering to get a Cool rails or an Hot rails but maybe it's not the right way to move and a pedal could be better for my needs.

Comment

Neck pickup is a Duncan Designed magnet, I like the tone it has for clean tones but for solos it's really weak.
                      I was actually wondering to get a Cool rails or an Hot rails but maybe it's not the right way to move and a pedal could be better for my needs.
                      The Hot Rails neck (SHR-1N) will work for a thick solo tone. That pickup is all mids. I can't guarantee it will have good cleans, though, as its output is so high and, well, it has so much mids. The output will also be a good match for your Distortion in bridge position.

I haven't tried the Cool Rails, so I can't speak to that.

My suggestions above are from bigger pedal companies, so hopefully you should be able to find them in Italy and try them. I recommend trying more than one if you can. Like with guitars and amps, the more you try, the more you know, and the better the chance you will find what you seek.

Comment

The Hot Rails neck (SHR-1N) will work for a thick solo tone. That pickup is all mids. I can't guarantee it will have good cleans, though, as its output is so high and, well, it has so much mids. The output will also be a good match for your Distortion in bridge position.

I haven't tried the Cool Rails, so I can't speak to that.

My suggestions above are from bigger pedal companies, so hopefully you should be able to find them in Italy and try them. I recommend trying more than one if you can. Like with guitars and amps, the more you try, the more you know, and the better the chance you will find what you seek.
                        The pup change is my favourite solution, no pedals, no power supply etc.
                        I will listen to some Hot rails samples on the tube, maybe it's worth a try.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC84AC70-79F4-4B0E-8BFD-A22C89F34738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	5812927

Pretty much any of these should work....
                          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Quite frankly, unless you are moving from low output pickups to significantly higher output (like a vintage PAF to high gain), a PUP change isn't going to give you the volume boost and presence you are looking for.
                            ROCK ON.

Comment

A cheap klone should do it.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

IF - and that's a big IF, the tone works for you. For me it wouldn't ever be a good thing.
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X