X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive pedal for solos

Hi all,

I'm an absolute beginner for pedals and stuff, so please be patient

I play a Jakson Dinky DK2 with a SH-6 bridge pickup.
    The sound turns out too thin during solos on high notes, moreover I need an extra volume boost for breaking the mix.
    I was wondering about an overdrive pedal to obtain a beefy sound on solo parts.

Any suggestion about? The budget is, unfortunately, low. About 50-100 bucks.
    Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind

Re: Overdrive pedal for solos

You might want to think about a clean boost instead of an overdrive.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Overdrive pedal for solos

What amp/settings? What style of music? And what band setup (other instruments, etc..)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

What are you playing through?

Using an OD as a solo boost is a pretty tried and true method, the Boss SD-1 is a favorite for pushing an amp, the TC Electronics Mojo Mojo is really good too and Paul Gilbert's favorite, both are $50 new.

But again, depends on what you are playing through.

Comment

Yeah right.
          The amps change every time, the music room has a lot of different amps so the settings change every week.

We play mainly rock/hard, Nirvana, Metallica, Alice cooper, Ac/Dc, Manson...
          The band is built with two guitars, bass, two singers.
          The second guitarist plays an Epiphone LP standard.
          Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind

Comment

OP. Best place to start is find the good music store locally with used gear -lots of pedals. Used pedals are the best way to assess your preferences.

I suggest getting a used Tube Screamer variant, Boss SD1 or any MXR distortion and a used Clean boost -like an Xotic BB or EP -and see the differences un how they push your amp and change your guitar. Then sell or return one back.. i have a deal at my local store where I take home all the pedals I want and then he runs my on file card for the ones I dont return. It benefits the store in that I buy a lot more pedals than I would without and benefits me in that I try out stuff with my actual gear.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              OP. Best place to start is find the good music store locally with used gear -lots of pedals. Used pedals are the best way to assess your preferences.

I suggest getting a used Tube Screamer variant, Boss SD1 or any MXR distortion and a used Clean boost -like an Xotic BB or EP -and see the differences un how they push your amp and change your guitar. Then sell or return one back.. i have a deal at my local store where I take home all the pedals I want and then he runs my on file card for the ones I dont return. It benefits the store in that I buy a lot more pedals than I would without and benefits me in that I try out stuff with my actual gear.
              Unfortunately the local store has a very few pedal supply.
              So internet is the way, but I really don't know the pedals' world

Comment

how much gain are you running at the amp? does it have an effects loop?

Comment

Originally posted by Cob85 View Post
                  Yeah right.
                  The amps change every time, the music room has a lot of different amps so the settings change every week.

We play mainly rock/hard, Nirvana, Metallica, Alice cooper, Ac/Dc, Manson...
                  The band is built with two guitars, bass, two singers.
                  The second guitarist plays an Epiphone LP standard.

Every guitar + pedal + amp responds differently.

My first suggestion: find an amp that does what you want it to do. A Marshall JVM amp its extremely versatile and will do everything you described without the need for pedals.

My alternative suggestion: try an EQ pedal in the FX loop. A good EQ pedal can act as a clean boost and you can also dial in/out certain frequencies if you'd like.
                  ROCK ON.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    how much gain are you running at the amp? does it have an effects loop?
                    Usually below the mid level (5<) but it depends on the song.

Comment

Originally posted by blind1 View Post
                      Every guitar + pedal + amp responds differently.

My first suggestion: find an amp that does what you want it to do. A Marshall JVM amp its extremely versatile and will do everything you described without the need for pedals.

My alternative suggestion: try an EQ pedal in the FX loop. A good EQ pedal can act as a clean boost and you can also dial in/out certain frequencies if you'd like.
                      I own a Crate GX212 amp but on the music room we cannot bring our own devices.
                      The same happens during on stage live, the club/pub provides its own amps.

About the EQ, could you please elaborate? Any brand/model to suggest?

Comment

I need an extra volume boost for breaking the mix.
                        Breaking through the mix is not about volume it is about tone. The EQ suggestion is a great way to go, you can shape your tone to cut through the mix, and most EQs have a variable boost if you want to goose the amp a bit more. Harmonizers while expensive can also help you thicken your tone and cut through the mix a bit. It would probally help us more if we knew your endgame. What kind of music are you playing, what do you want your guitar to sound like?

The BOSS GE-7 is a great EQ and can be found in your budget on the secondary market or new if you so a bit of shoping.
                        Last edited by Securb; 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I own a Crate GX212 amp but on the music room we cannot bring our own devices.
                          The same happens during on stage live, the club/pub provides its own amps.

About the EQ, could you please elaborate? Any brand/model to suggest?
                          An Equalizer pedal will allow you certain options: if you put the pedal in front of the amp (guitar -> EQ -> amp), then you can shape the tone and also add more gain to the signal. If you put the EQ in the FX Loop of an amp (guitar -> amp -> FX loop -> return), then you can shape the final tone and even increase its volume with the EQ pedal.

Two different pedals to look into that meet your budget if you buy them USED:

MXR Ten Band EQ - https://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR/Ten-Band-EQ-Pedal.gc
                          Boss GE-7 EQ - https://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/GE...lizer-Pedal.gc

It would behoove you to read reviews and see how other people are using these.
                          ROCK ON.

Comment

$25...easy to install onboard boost in your guitar....http://www.muzique.com/tech/module2.htm

Comment

I came here to suggest an EQ pedal too! They do exactly the same thing as a clean boost except you have total control over which frequencies get boosted and/or cut. Most "boost" pedals have no eq at all, or minimal "tone" knob.

I used a DOD FX40B for years as a solo boost/thickener and I tried a lot of boost pedals but none of them worked as well.

I am now using a Rat pedal clone that just happens to hit the right frequencies for my amp but I don't know if it would work as well with random assorted amps. Worth a try, though. Rat clones can be had for $50 or less. I got mine for free.

Comment

Working...
                              X