banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effects for the bagpipe guitar lines in "In a Big Country"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects for the bagpipe guitar lines in "In a Big Country"?

Okay, here is my next tone investigation:
    The bagpipe-sounding guitar lines in the song "In a Big Country" by the band Big Country.
    Delays set for really short repeats? Weird eq? Eventide strikes again??

I recall when the song was new they were asked how they got the guitars to sound like bagpipes and they just said "it's the melodies we play, not the guitar sound" and as a naive teenager I believed them but I heard that song today on the radio and I call bs! The sound is definitely processed to give a very specific tonal effect but I have no idea what's used.

Sorry, I can't link a video on my tablet but if you type "Big Country" it pops right up on YouTube. I just watched a live concert clip from 1983 and the lead guitar player seems to be playing through a Marshall half stack but he definitely has a few pedals on the floor and he is messing with them before each one of those runs. The singer/rythm guitarist doubles that line at one point but the rest of the time it's just one guitar and it still has that warbly sound. Chorus set really fast??

Re: Effects for the bagpipe guitar lines in "In a Big Country"?

I wonder if using a cocked wah, set more towards toe down would give a good base for it? Bagpipes are quite a piercing sound, and quite narrow frequency-wise.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Bear in mind, you actually have 2 sounds coming from a set of bagpipes, the drone notes and the melody.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Play open chords leaving a few strings droning -A or D is usually the string left to do the Drone, and get a Boss Super Shifter or an EHX Pitchfork and run a harmonic or 5th with your chords.

also, there a lot of playing technics that mimic it without as much gear -Listen to Scottish rock bands like Frightened Rabbit, Admiral Fallow etc etc -sometimes you'll hear a guitar that tonally and stylistically suggests their heritage.
        Last edited by NegativeEase; 02-12-2019, 07:54 AM.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It's the MXR M-129 Pitch Transposer!

Last edited by saladin; 02-12-2019, 06:14 PM.
          Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post

Did that exist in 1983?

For earlier posters: I'm not asking how to make my guitar sound like a bagpipe, I am asking how Big Country got that specific sound on those specific lines in that particular song.
            The lead guitar player is stepping on one or two pedals every time he plays those high melodies. It is a tone I never tried to duplicate so I have no idea what he might be using.

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
              Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
              Did that exist in 1983?

For earlier posters: I'm not asking how to make my guitar sound like a bagpipe, I am asking how Big Country got that specific sound on those specific lines in that particular song.
              The lead guitar player is stepping on one or two pedals every time he plays those high melodies. It is a tone I never tried to duplicate so I have no idea what he might be using.
              From what I've been able to find online, it most likely did exist in 1983. As far as what he was stepping on, a friend of mine had a couple of those MXR rack units (though not a Pitch Transposer) and they used a 1/4" latching switch for bypass. It's possible that he had a simple amp style foot switch on his board.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

That would make sense. In the concert clip one can clearly see rack stuff beside the Marshall, closer to the singer.
                There is delay in there, possibly an eq, and then this pitchy thing...

Comment

Oh, you want the exact way Big Country made it?

and MXR-129 and whole bunch of Boss chorus/delay pedals
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    Oh, you want the exact way Big Country made it?

and MXR-129 and whole bunch of Boss chorus/delay pedals
                    Yes. Thank you!

Comment

When I saw them live, it was just the two different guitars playing slightly out of tune. Seriously. But YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                        Yes. Thank you!
                        But look at my comment #4 -The Boss Super Shifter and EHX Pitch do the EXACT Octave and 5th Harmonizer effect that Big Country used on that old MXR 129 -and for a sixth of the money and in a pedal!

Just add Boss Chorus pedal and maybe some Grit

Comment

With this post and the former Britny Fox post, sounds like Mr. Locher needs an Eventide bad.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            With this post and the former Britny Fox post, sounds like Mr. Locher needs an Eventide bad.
                            Ha! The thought is starting to occur to me!
                            That thread got me listening for it. I heard this song and I thought "Is that...?"
                            Just curiosity, though. For now...

Comment

Working...
                            X