Colorsound Overdriver tips, uses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorsound Overdriver tips, uses?

In my quest to try at least one of every type (or at least category) of boost/gain pedal ever made I recently had a pedal builder make me a Colorsound Overdriver clone. There are a couple name-brand clones on the market for those who don't want a giant orange box, including the Prescription Electronic RX Overdriver and the Vick Audio Overdriver.

This thing has an INSANE amount of low end, a ton of volume, and the gain stays mostly clean until the knob gets to 3 o'clock when it suddenly goes fuzz.

Any tips on how to best use it? Right now I am running the bass all the way down, treble around noon, volume cranked, and gain around 1 or 2. It adds some Ampeg-like girth to my tone and makes my Rat sound tinny and thin by comparison. That's into a crunchy Marshall style amp with medium/high output humbuckers. Sounds great at bedroom volume but I don't know if it would work for me at stage volume.

Anyone else have any experience with this circuit care to share any info on usage?
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 02-17-2019, 02:58 AM.

Re: Colorsound Overdriver tips, uses?

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    In my quest to try at least one of every type (or at least category) of boost/gain pedal ever made I recently had a pedal builder make me a Colorsound Overdriver clone. There are a couple name-brand clones on the market for those who don't want a giant orange box, including the Prescription Electronic RX Overdriver and the Vick Audio Overdriver.

This thing has an INSANE amount of low end, a ton of volume, and the gain stays mostly clean until the knob gets to 3 o'clock when it suddenly goes fuzz.

Any tips on how to best use it? Right now I am running the bass all the way down, treble around noon, volume cranked, and gain around 1 or 2. It adds some Ampeg-like girth to my tone and makes my Rat sound tinny and thin. That's into a crunchy Marshall style amp with medium/high output humbuckers. Sounds great at bedroom volume but I don't know if it would work for me at stage volume.

Anyone else have any experience with this circuit care to share any info on usage?
    I haven't played around with a physical one, but I've messed with the Helix model of one a bit. I was using it with a model of a Klon in front of it, and I tend to play with boosted already dirty amps a lot. I don't remember details, other than it was fun. It's after midnight here, or I'd fire it up and poke at it a bit. I'm not sure how dead on the Line 6 model on the Colorsound is, as it's a "modded" Overdriver, and has an added mid control.

I recall it sounding pretty much like the amp pushed harder at lower settings, but the Overdriveroid got a bit strange when really pushed. Set right, it'd wander in and out of that depending on how hard you played.

On the other hand, you note in another thread that you only use 1 pedal at a time. I'll have to try a patch with no boost tomorrow, and see what I can get out of it, since you've reminded me of one I haven't played with in a while.

Heck, have to work my way through and make sure I've tried all the dirt options again. I can't remember what the "Line 6 Distortion" original model sounded like...

Comment

I totally get setting the gain right on the edge of that cleanish/fuzz threshold but probably would not have thought of it. Thanks!
      A mids control would make this thing a lot easier to dial in, that's for sure.

Comment

I use mine to ****up the front end of my Matamps.

It's not a subtle device. Turn the bass and gain up and let it do it's thing. Palm mutes are ****in awesome with it.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

No, it ain't subtle!

Comment

I don't have any personal experience from it, but I was reading Gilmourish http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=7748 and there is a page on how Gilmour used it.

Comment

Excellent link, thanks! In the comments they make reference to an episode of that pedal show that I will have to seek out.

Comment

Did any of you have tried the Czech Colorsound Powerboost clone :

Electronic Orange "BANANABOOST" ?

'cuz it is the one I will get when I buy one (quite cheaper than Throbak)
                Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                X