Digitech The Drop - metal demo. down tuning pitch shifter pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech The Drop - metal demo. down tuning pitch shifter pedal

The chain:Gibson Les Paul studio w/ Seymour Duncan JBTC electronic polytuneDigitech The DropFulltone OCDEVH5150IIIPreamp out to interface to impulse response

A lot of bands use this pedal live to avoid bringing extra guitars for lower tunings. I think it's convenient if you are in a function/cover band but I wouldn't use it to play original music. You do lose something from your sound even at -1. The latency is shorter than most pitch shifting pedals, it's barely noticable.

Re: Digitech The Drop - metal demo. down tuning pitch shifter pedal

I agree. I have one and I have used it but I’m really not a fan.
    Is it convenient...sure.
    But as you stated, the latency and loss of that “something” is noticeable.

Now I know, somebody will come in and say “the audience won’t hear the difference” and they would mostly be right. But “I” hear and feel the difference and that matters more to me than what a room full of drunks think.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      Is it convenient...sure.

Now I know, somebody will come in and say “the audience won’t hear the difference” and they would mostly be right. But “I” hear and feel the difference and that matters more to me than what a room full of drunks think.
      Why not get drunk while you play -so YOU don't hear the difference

Nah, I agree -it's a cool toy -but nothing I would want to use live.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        Why not get drunk while you play -so YOU don't hear the difference

Nah, I agree -it's a cool toy -but nothing I would want to use live.
        I’ve heard a couple of your drunk stories....lmao

Comment

I’ve heard a couple of your drunk stories....lmao
          Ha...I used to have a "chemical" problem that I dowsed alcohol on top of.... I'm going to write a book one day

Proud to say, I survived and changed my ways -GF getting pregnant was the catalyst. Didn't want my bull**** wrecking anyone else's life.

Typing that makes me think I shouldn't be jokingly encouraging ANYONE to drink....
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Ha...I used to have a "chemical" problem that I dowsed alcohol on top of.... I'm going to write a book one day

Proud to say, I survived and changed my ways -GF getting pregnant was the catalyst. Didn't want my bull**** wrecking anyone else's life.

Typing that makes me think I shouldn't be jokingly encouraging ANYONE to drink....
            There’s a reason my drinking days are behind me too...

Comment

Is it convenient...sure.

A long time ago, I had a Whammy pedal. Just for fun, I'd set it to octave down, then find the sweet spot to tune down a whole step or to B or whatever. It sounded and felt fake, as any interaction between the guitar and amp was gone.

Incidentally, it seems kind of dumb to me when a metal band who plays in several different tunings that are all drop whatever takes a guitar for each tuning. If you have songs in drop D, C, B, and A, do you really think you couldn't do them all in B or C and have everybody be happy? Or maybe learn to write a song who's key isn't determined by the lowest available note?

Now, excuse me while I go tell kids to get off my lawn.

There’s a reason my drinking days are behind me too...
              Me too, as this week.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                Incidentally, it seems kind of dumb to me when a metal band who plays in several different tunings that are all drop whatever takes a guitar for each tuning. If you have songs in drop D, C, B, and A, do you really think you couldn't do them all in B or C and have everybody be happy? Or maybe learn to write a song who's key isn't determined by the lowest available note?

Now, excuse me while I go tell kids to get off my lawn.

Me too, as this week.
                Metal guys need to learn to use Capos.....

Hey you....Kids!, get out of myyyyyy Gaaarrrden!

Comment

Metal guys need to learn to use Capos.....
                  Capos would never survive the brootal chugz.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I’m intrigued by this pedal. I’ve always learned by playing along with my favorite recordings. As you have probably experienced many recordings don’t playback at 440 but about 30 cents up. Does anyone know of a pedal that can fine tune the pitch shift? For example: pitch up 1/4 step rather than half steps?

Or maybe a program that can playback music pitches down at 1/4 step?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Gretsch, Vox, Fender, Gibson, Kramer

Comment

There are several programs (and apps) that allow you to re-tune recordings. I use Transcribe! or Riff Station on PC, and AudioStretch or AnyTune on iOS.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ those little cranks on the side of your guitar’s headstock are good for that

Search The Amazing Slowdowner

Comment

^ those little cranks on the side of your guitar’s headstock are good for that

Yes! But I have a set list of 30 cover tunes and 4 of them are up a 1/4 step and I want to avoid changing tuning several times. Some are in Eb too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Gretsch, Vox, Fender, Gibson, Kramer

Comment

^

Comment

I had one... used it with an ABY box and set to an octave lower into a bass amp instead of playing with a bass playsr at times. Rock and Roll should never be about convenience imho... it should be about expression and what feels right, and generally, if it’s convenient... it doesn’t feel right.
                              Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Working...
                              X