The dinos are done....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dinos are done....

Or in other words T-Rex is folding and shutting down....
    Well that was the first of the main pedal makers here that crashed out!
    In Danish...

Re: The dinos are done....

They made some great pedals, but never quite caught on in a big way. Sad to hear that, it's not like they were a garage operation and made some quality stuff.

Comment

I like the power supplies. The Chameleon can power any configuration I throw at it on my Pedaltrain Mini. Others have caught up to that flexibility but that supply was a revelation when I found it.

Also, the replicator always looked cool. I wonder how it compared to the bigger tape echo units.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Well their Echorec project will die now....

Comment

thats too bad, they made some good stuff

Comment

Aw, that’s too bad.

I use a Comp Nova, Replica delay, and Room Mate reverb - they’re all great pedals.

I’ve long considered a Mud Honey, but never got around to pulling the trigger - might have to do that now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The old owners bought it back...seems that the Jurassic park monster will rise again....not bad!

Comment

Cool news. Were they the ones who pushed for the “back to Denmark” series released a year or so back? (Mud Honey, Alberta, etc.)

Comment

Love my T-Rex Viper!
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Their power supplies seemed to be nice.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I would think it is a hard market to compete in.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I would think it is a hard market to compete in.
                        Yeah, can't imagine what it would be like now. Back in '96 - '98 I build overdrive pedals for Fat Sound in NC (yes, they have had a tainted history since, but this was way before then), I think Fulltone was pretty much the only major "boutique" pedal maker at the time and even his stuff was prototype-y, that was when he was still using the plain aluminum boxes with labels. Hindsight, I should have really pushed hard back then to create a brand, but life stuff was getting in the way, like moving across country, trying to figure out a new job, wife in school, buying a house, a few things in the air. Had I known what the market would become, and how successful the original players would be, would have been worth it, but, you know what they say about hindsight.

Looking at the market just a few years later, and even more so now, it is so saturated it's crazy. I think there is about one pedal maker for every 10 guitarists (yes, a sarcastic exaggeration, I think...). Trying to start something new and compete now days would be quite the daunting task (I started to say insane, but there still may be some small cracks to get in).

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          Yeah, can't imagine what it would be like now. Back in '96 - '98 I build overdrive pedals for Fat Sound in NC (yes, they have had a tainted history since, but this was way before then), I think Fulltone was pretty much the only major "boutique" pedal maker at the time and even his stuff was prototype-y, that was when he was still using the plain aluminum boxes with labels. Hindsight, I should have really pushed hard back then to create a brand, but life stuff was getting in the way, like moving across country, trying to figure out a new job, wife in school, buying a house, a few things in the air. Had I known what the market would become, and how successful the original players would be, would have been worth it, but, you know what they say about hindsight.

Looking at the market just a few years later, and even more so now, it is so saturated it's crazy. I think there is about one pedal maker for every 10 guitarists (yes, a sarcastic exaggeration, I think...). Trying to start something new and compete now days would be quite the daunting task (I started to say insane, but there still may be some small cracks to get in).
                          The last thing the world needs is another TS clone. Differentiating yourself must be a PITA these days, and I would imagine something like what Chapman's pedal brand Snake Oil is doing (really striking engraved design) goes in the right direction.
                          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                            The last thing the world needs is another TS clone. Differentiating yourself must be a PITA these days, and I would imagine something like what Chapman's pedal brand Snake Oil is doing (really striking engraved design) goes in the right direction.
                            The Very Thing is a TS variant, The Marvelous Engine is a distortion box with a voicing control, nothing really new there, but cool looking.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                              Aw, that’s too bad.

I use a Comp Nova, Replica delay, and Room Mate reverb - they’re all great pedals.

I’ve long considered a Mud Honey, but never got around to pulling the trigger - might have to do that now!

Funny thing about the Mudhoney: I recently tried plugging my buddy's Mudhoney into my 100 W tube head. Sounded alright, kinda fun, but nothing magical. Even with the boost kicked in, it wasn't all that amazing. Then I borrowed said pedal as well as his sh*tty early 90's solid state 6 inch speaker practice combo for home use while waiting for my new lunchbox to arrive.

Practice combo sounded suprisingly good clean, but Mudhoney into it was again not that great (though what do you expect from those amps? Undersized speaker + distortion does not make for a very fun sound).
                              Tried my OCD clone (EHX OD Glove) into the amp - very dull, very muffled, not very inspiring.

Then I tried the Mudhoney into the Glove... I'll be damned if that wasn't the greatest fuzz I've ever heard. Full and rich and lovely with the Mudhoney in regular mode, big and mean and over-saturated with the boost kicked in. Worked the other way around as well, but much preferred Mudhoney into Glove.

So yeah, if you're gonna go for one, try it stacked with an OCD-style pedal afterwards. You might like it.
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                              X