pedal board power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedal board power supply

Which is in your opinion a good power supply for a pedalboard with 5/6 pedals with a reasonable quality/price ratio? Someone else suggested the following one:

Re: pedal board power supply

For price/quality cheapest one is the truetone cs7. Another would be the trex fuel tank jr.

Check the power requirements of the pedals before picking up a psu.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
      For price/quality cheapest one is the truetone cs7. Another would be the trex fuel tank jr.

Check the power requirements of the pedals before picking up a psu.
      my rig is pretty simple. At the moment the chain is composed by a boss TU3, a MXR GT-OD, a boss CE-5, Morley volume little alligator and at the end of the chain a carbon copy I want to replace with a Flashback (or a Flashback 2). I think a psu up to 1900/2000 mA and 7/8 isolated outlets and the ability to handle 9, 12 and 18 volt DC should be fine. I want flexibility and to feel free to add one or two more pedals if needed (a flanger or a distortion)

Comment

FYI, the outputs on that Caline aren't fully isolated, they share grounds. If you want one with fully isolated outputs look for one that uses a IEC power cord, not a wall wart. Yes, it will cost more, yes, it will last you much longer and will be noise free.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          FYI, the outputs on that Caline aren't fully isolated, they share grounds. If you want one with fully isolated outputs look for one that uses a IEC power cord, not a wall wart. Yes, it will cost more, yes, it will last you much longer and will be noise free.
          like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus ? suppose I take one of these, how do I power the volume pedal that requires 300mA?
          Last edited by EmiAba; 03-04-2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Get one that outputs 300ma or use a current doubler cable.

By the way, look up the pedal current draw, not the adapter capability. The Morley draws something like 2ma, not 300ma. 300ma pedals are digital beasts like Strymons and Eventides.

Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-04-2019, 09:14 AM.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The Pedal Power Plus has 2 250mA outputs which is enough for pretty much any high current digital pedal, what kind of volume pedal are you using that requires 300mA? That seems like an insane amount for a volume pedal.

Comment

I can highly recommend the Voodoo Lab. I use it and it is quiet and works very well. The real question is where are you putting it? What I mean is, I started off with the Truetone CS7, but the thing is HUGE and wouldn't fit well under my pedal board. So I got the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus and it's wonderful.

Comment

The Pedal Power Plus has 2 250mA outputs which is enough for pretty much any high current digital pedal, what kind of volume pedal are you using that requires 300mA? That seems like an insane amount for a volume pedal.
                  That’s the spec on the adapter they ship with it, not the draw of the pedal.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    That’s the spec on the adapter they ship with it, not the draw of the pedal.
                    Good point, didn't even think of that, I always look on the pedal itself.

Comment

Good point, didn't even think of that, I always look on the pedal itself.
                      It doesn't always tell that either. At least EHX seems to just label their pedals based on the adapter it comes with.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

He did say it was a volume pedal, not sure how a volume pedal would use 300mA. Most volume pedals I've used are passive, I'm guessing the OP's is a Morley(?).

Comment

I bought a power supply from amazon that is almost exactly what you posted, only it was under brand name Donner. It worked. It was meant as a temporary solution and has now been replaced on my main board.
                          Most power supplies have an outlet or two rated differently for pedals requiring higher draw. Make sure the supply you get matches your power needs. If there is not an output for the particular pedal, then keep it on battery or its own cord if it doesnt take battery until you can get the correct power supply.
                          Im not really sharing anything that hasnt been said, so I'm posting only to say that in a pinch or if you are financially strapped as I am, that supply may work if it has the outputs you need. However, it may be noisy and is not going to be very effective for keeping your pedals safe in the event of power surges, etc
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I just built a board with a Pedaltrain 24, and I'm using a Donner. I don't think I'd want to tour Internationally with it, but it does a good job locally and it's pretty inexpensive. I was going to replace it with something more substantial, and I may very well, but for now...it's still making stuff light up.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190309_085737472.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	5813199
                              It's according to how much money you want to spend. But for $29.99 it's hard to beat the truetone 1 spot. I bought one a couple of months ago. It powers up to 8 pedals and comes with several adapters also. I know there's nicer power supplies out there, but it will be hard to beat this one for that price.
                              Last edited by smitty302; 03-09-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X