Double Overdrive Comparison/Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Overdrive Comparison/Opinions

Hi friends! I need opinions on the JHS Double Barrel vs the Menatone Fish Factory vs the Way Huge Camel Toe. Currently I have the Double Barrel v3, but my brother has been trying to buy it off me almost ever since I got it. Are the others worth selling the DB? I do love it, but I'm always experimenting with new tone.
    For the record, both of my guitars are hsh guitars, but I mostly play on the humbuckers. And I like crisp and articulate od. From the videos I've watched, it seems like the DB is more transparent and the FF is more southern rockish, which I think is cool. I haven't looked too much into the FF or the CT yet though.
    Anyway, thoughts on the pedals would be helpful, especially if you have experience with all three pedals or brands.

Re: Double Overdrive Comparison/Opinions

So the Double Barrel is a Tube Screamer and modded Blues Breaker. Both are great circuits, one mid-pushed, one flatter. The Blues Breaker is pretty low gain and could be described as transparent.

The Camel Toe is a Green Rhino (modded Tube Screamer) and Red Llama. The Red Llama is kind of a tweedy drive pedal with a lot more gain than the Blues Breaker. I actually really like it for more gained up but semi-natural gain tones. The Green Rhino is an awesome Tube Screamer though, super flexible. In fact I’ve been wanting a Camel Toe for a while, as both sides work great with my Princeton Reverb.

I’m not familiar with the Menatone. Comparing the JHS and Way Huge, if you need more gain than the Double Barrel, then the Camel Toe would be a good option. If not, sticking with the Double Barrel souls he better.
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-05-2019, 11:07 AM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      So the Double Barrel is a Tube Screamer and modded Blues Breaker. Both are great circuits, one mid-pushed, one flatter. The Blues Breaker is pretty low gain and could be described as transparent.

The Camel Toe is a Green Rhino (modded Tube Screamer) and Red Llama. The Red Llama is kind of a tweedy drive pedal with a lot more gain than the Blues Breaker. I actually really like it for more gained up but semi-natural gain tones. The Green Rhino is an awesome Tube Screamer though, super flexible. In fact I’ve been wanting a Camel Toe for a while, as both sides work great with my Princeton Reverb.

I’m not familiar with the Menatone. Comparing the JHS and Way Huge, if you need more gain than the Double Barrel, then the Camel Toe would be a good option. If not, sticking with the Double Barrel souls he better.
      Thank you! I usually play on lower gain, and when I do need more od, the ts side of the db is plenty. I do love a tweed tone though.

Comment

i want to check out the camel toe but no one has em to try. i just played with the blackstone appliances mosfet overdrive, very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i want to check out the camel toe but no one has em to try. i just played with the blackstone appliances mosfet overdrive, very nice.
          That thing was THE hotness like 8 years ago. I’ve never gotten to try one.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

its fat and harmonically rich, not compressed and cleans up very well. one gig isnt enough to tell if its a keeper but i was pleasantly surprised

Comment

Mike Campbell uses a Camel Toe as his main dirt. Friends have urged him to get them to make a customized artist version for him and call it the "Campbell Toe".
              Al

Comment

Working...
              X