X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devastone
    replied
    Re: Whoa... Headrush!

You can still use the effects return of your amp and your 2-12 cab (or was it a 2-12 combo?) with the headrush, just turn the cab sims off. Yes, you will only get the color of your amp/speakers, but it also may feel more familiar. Any, that is one approach if time is tight and you need to get some sounds for a tryout quickly, and those patches will probably sound pretty good direct after you turn the cab sims back on (or use outs with cab sims, I'm not 100% sure what the routing on the HR is).

Leave a comment:

• NecroPolo
    replied

I've been using its 10-inch Alto sibling since last year as a direct FRFR wedge and regardless of venue or stage size it can successfully stab my guitar sound into my ears through the band noise (using earplugs of course). To be honest, onstage I've never heard myself with such clarity, not even back in the days when I used two tube half-stacks - I guess they aimed the pants and this small wedge aims to the head. And yes 2000 watts of power is insane. Not the actual power itself but the clarity it delivers around the effective volume range where you will use it in the practice. I don't think I had to crank it up above noon.

I'm also impressed of the build quality. It is on its 3rd tour already where **** happens with gear day by day and nothing could destroy it, so far.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 03-30-2019, 03:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BriGuy1968
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Nice! My cat would love a box like that.
    My granddaughter felt the same way!

Leave a comment:

• BriGuy1968
    replied

I played with it for about an hour last night before Mrs. BriGuy told me that I had to shut it off because the grandkids needed to go to bed. I mounted it on one of the speaker stands I have for my PA and that got rid of the excessive low-end very nicely. Looks like GC has a speaker stand that will lower down to 27 inches with a maximum height of 4.5 feet that would probably work even better… I had it at about 4 1/2 feet (the lowest on my stand) last night and it was kind of weird having a guitar cabinet up that high.

Sound wise, at least so far, it’s living up to the hype. The clarity is incredible and even on a speaker stand, if you are using an effect that has an octave below, you can feel the bass through the floor. Another thing I noticed is that the difference in sound between my guitars (at least with the three I tried with it last night) appears to be much more pronounced. It’s pretty cool but also means that I am going to have to be a little more pointed in the uses I have for my guitars since I was able to use most of them almost interchangeably before.

Of course all my previous hard work of coming up with tones ended up going right out the window because of changing from a guitar cabinet to this little thing, so I have some work cut out for me this weekend. I have an audition for a potential new band on Sunday, so I will probably end up just trying to come up with a few solid, basic tones so I can concentrate more on being ready for the audition.

All in all, though, I’m quite happy with it so far and am looking forward to exploring it further over the next few days. [emoji1303]

Leave a comment:

• Archer250
    replied

Nice 108.

I use a 112 with my Helix LT. It's pretty loud, but I like it that way. Put it on a chair or something that lifts it off the ground, otherwise you might get more low end than the patches actually have.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Nice! My cat would love a box like that.

Leave a comment:

• BriGuy1968
    replied

So it arrived, but I’m still at work.

The wife texted me a pic just to get me going... [emoji20]

Leave a comment:

• donaldr
    replied

Nice!!! I have the Avid Eleven Rack for years and I always get good comments about my sound.
    I used to run my 11R to a Peavey tube power amp and a 4x12" cab but now I'm only direct to FOH. Took a lot of time to tweak since 11R doesn't support IR but now it's fantastic and so easy to load-in/out. At home I play thru an EV ZLX12P and Zxa1 sub (play bass also) but looking for the Tech21 Deuce Power Engine, more guitar oriented than a powered PA cab

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
    I completely understand what you’re saying, but I have to also say that I have trouble with that concept. I just feel like it’s a terrible waste to have all these different cabs to choose from and to ignore them just because I’m running into a real cab... especially since the real cab isn’t anywhere NEAR as cool as the sims.

I ended up going into the front of my amp instead, which sounded like ass since I had set up all my sounds to sound best when bypassing the preamp.

So I decided to break down and order one of the Headrush FRFR-108 powered speakers. The “FRFR“ stands for “full range, flat response,” and it has an 8 inch speaker with a whopping 2000 W of power!
    Running the cab sims into a real power amp and guitar cab is like running the preamps in the the preamp of an amp, just on the back end. The guitar speaker is shaping the tone and you are trying to compensate for the cab sim.

Good choice on the FRFR, I run through studio monitors when I am setting up direct sounds, actually most of my practice time is through those. I have a cab if I want to jam, but I turn the cab sims off. The Headrush FRFR should sound great, I was torn on getting something like that or the guitar cab, I went with the cab because I keep thinking I might get a lunchbox head someday.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Love to hear the review of the cab. I run my Fractal into IEMs live, but for rehearsal it just goes into a Mackie Thump, which is far from flat.

Leave a comment:

• BriGuy1968
    replied

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    Probably best to turn the cab sims off if you are running into the return of an amp and guitar speakers, that's been my experience anyway.
    I completely understand what you’re saying, but I have to also say that I have trouble with that concept. I just feel like it’s a terrible waste to have all these different cabs to choose from and to ignore them just because I’m running into a real cab... especially since the real cab isn’t anywhere NEAR as cool as the sims.

That being said, it didn’t take me long to start realizing some drawbacks to the idea of running directly into my amp’s power section. First of all, while I am able to get some really awesome tones, I am finding that I am still fighting the natural tone of my amp (so I graciously admit that I think you are correct). Second is one I didn’t really think of until I was at an audition this past Sunday. They wanted me to run into their board and I realized that I was unable to find a good balance between the volume of my amp and the volume coming out of their system (which was admittedly pretty poor). I ended up going into the front of my amp instead, which sounded like ass since I had set up all my sounds to sound best when bypassing the preamp.

So I decided to break down and order one of the Headrush FRFR-108 powered speakers. The “FRFR“ stands for “full range, flat response,” and it has an 8 inch speaker with a whopping 2000 W of power!

I’m hoping that this thing lives up to the hype and to the ratings it seems to have earned. I really love the idea of my “amp“ being a mere 19 pounds... especially if the sound is more accurate and it’s actually easier to duplicate that sound into the PA.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

Probably best to turn the cab sims off if you are running into the return of an amp and guitar speakers, that's been my experience anyway.

Leave a comment:

• BriGuy1968
    replied

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
    To the OP: Congrats on your purchase. Will you be using it as a standalone unit, or also in 4CM with your amp?
    So far I'm thinking standalone, but going into the effects return instead of the "front," bypassing the preamp and going directly into the power section. I like the idea of trying to dial in my tone in such a way that I can run it straight into the board. Watched a band a couple of nights ago where both guitarists we're playing HD500Xs, straight in, no amps, and IEMs... they sounded great and there was almost no stage clutter. The IEMs probably aren't in my near future, but limiting the coloration by bypassing the preamp gives me, essentially, a 100 watt 2x12 powered speaker that can either function as an extension of the house system or as a stage monitor.Chorus

Headrush makes a couple of full-range flat-response powered speakers (FRFR-108 & FRFR-112) that are tailored to it and pack plenty of power, but I figured I'd try it this way first. Still, they would be REALLY cool, especially in stereo...

Sent from my Fire HD10 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• BriGuy1968
    replied

Originally posted by Blille View Post
    So nice!

I’ve been thinking of getting the gigboard.

If you have some time I would love to get your opinion on the models of the Princeton Reverb and the Tweed Deluxe.
    I've been away at a conference in Phoenix all week and won't be home until Sunday night (still trying to decide whether or not to go to work Monday), so I haven't been able to play with it! [emoji22] I can give you my opinions on those, but honestly don't have any experience with the real things to be able to make a comparison. Maybe I could record and post some clips though.

Sent from my Fire HD10 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BriGuy1968; 03-16-2019, 05:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Archer250
    replied

Nice

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X