Fulltone OCD test. Fuzz in disguise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulltone OCD test. Fuzz in disguise?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Signal chain:
    Gibson les paul studio w/ SD SH4 on the bridge
    Fulltone OCD
    EVH5150III clean channel
    Preamp out to DAW
    Catharsis Fredman impulse response

I am not an overdrive pedal in front of the clean channel kind of guy but I 've tried it for the sake of this demo - and it sounds pretty good

Re: Fulltone OCD test. Fuzz in disguise?

That’s into you’re clean channel?

I had a buddy that had an OCD pedal and it didn’t sound at all like that.

Comment

nice slippers!!

i use an OCD to boost my jcm800 and love it. It is a pretty diverse pedal as far as OD pedals go.
      Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Comment

Man, to hell with the OCD, let's talk about dem epic slippers!

Seriously though, I had an OCD clone as my boost pedal into an EVH 100 for about two years. Sound was reminiscent of what you've got going there. Except we tuned down to C, and the result was pretty awful. Like... the ugly, evil twin of what you've got going there [emoji1]

OCD into blue channel may also have been just about the second worse sound I've ever managed to crank out of a tube amp.
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Distortion is distortion. Calling a pedal “distortion,” “overdrive,” or “fuzz” is basically three different terms for the same thing.

The only difference is how much clipping is going on. An OCD is a hard clipping circuit, similar to a Distortion + or ProCo Rat.

Something like a Tube Screamer used a soft clipping circuit so it’s a bit milder sounding.

I have a modded Joyo OCD clone. It gets a nice range of dirt from just a little to quite fuzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The clean tone is pretty thick and even a little muddy, it's not surprising that a dimed OCD is going to make that sound really dirty, thick and muddy.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              Distortion is distortion. Calling a pedal “distortion,” “overdrive,” or “fuzz” is basically three different terms for the same thing.

The only difference is how much clipping is going on. An OCD is a hard clipping circuit, similar to a Distortion + or ProCo Rat.

Something like a Tube Screamer used a soft clipping circuit so it’s a bit milder sounding.

I have a modded Joyo OCD clone. It gets a nice range of dirt from just a little to quite fuzzy.

What's your point? A Tube screamer is never gonna give you fuzz unless you push it really, REALLY hard with other gain pedals first. And a nasty, dirty fuzz is never gonna give you edge of breakup boost.
              --------------------------------------------------------
              1973 Aria 551
              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                What's your point? A Tube screamer is never gonna give you fuzz unless you push it really, REALLY hard with other gain pedals first. And a nasty, dirty fuzz is never gonna give you edge of breakup boost.
                A Rat goes from almost totally clean to total fuzz. My modded OCD clone does too. I decreased the resistance of the gain control to allow for lower gain settings. I can get it totally clean to that full on fuzz.

A TubeScreamer isn’t set up for that.

My point was that with the right circuit it’s easy to do.

Comment

to my ears it definitely sounded best on the Kyuss riff rather than the classic stuff like Zep and DP. - has a brittle thing going on that I don't prefer on some of the riffs.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                  X