Four-Cable Method: Reducing Clutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four-Cable Method: Reducing Clutter

So, Hades may have frozen over*, and I have got myself a floor-based effects rig, namely a Line 6 HX Effects. I generally much prefer to keep the effects as close to the amp as possible to reduce the amount of cable involved, but this has a nice enough interface that I will probably keep it in front of me in my simple bar rig.

This leads to my actual question. I will be using it employing the four-cable method, which means that there will be three cables going back and forth from the amp: one in front, two in the back. I suppose there is no way around this, but are any of you familiar with any clever arrangements to minimize the hassle and potential problems associated with this? (messiness, tripping, cable failure etc.)

*: Yes, I know, the realm of Hades, Tartarus, is actually cold rather than warm.

Re: Four-Cable Method: Reducing Clutter

Lot of cable ties and angled jacks.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I use a Pedal Python. Mine is assembled with three Mogami Gold cables for signal and a cheaper one for channel switching. You basically assemble the cables you want to use then tie strap and wrap them with the Pedal Python. You can include an IEC cable for power as well, you’ll have to test for noise. It’s pretty cheap since you are bringing your own cables.

This is the luxury solution...

PedalSnake, the world's first configurable, multi-channel, all-in-one pedals-to-amp cable system for guitar effects pedals. The Most Elegant Solution.

You can send DC power down the line for the Line 6 (it’s a power hog) and just select the ends you need at each side.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Four-Cable Method: Reducing Clutter

I also use the pedal python....I have zero negatives to say about it so far. Been using it for about a year/year and a half.

I don’t run my power cables through the python though.
        Many times I have found that I need to plug in to power in a place that might not be in the same proximity as the amp.

I use the python to run cables from amp to board only.

Comment

Cable ties are the cheapest solution. Buy good quality cables with a wire mesh type shield in them for grounding, those will last for a very long time without problems, been using my planet waves american stage cables since 2012, hasnt failed on me yet.

Trying to replace a single cable from a pair of four cables that have cable ties all over can be time consuming, i have one those wire management things that are used for keeping computer wires tidy, not sure what its called but had gotten it long time ago.

The pedalsnake is nice too

Comment

Yeah, some sort of a loom is the only solution here. The 4 cable thing is inherently messy. You can have one built for you, or get that corrugated plastic tubing and put cables inside of it.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Op -You just need a stage rated jacket on an 22AWG or 22AWG 4 pair twisted pair with Analog Impedance ratings (but you can do digital impedance like 110 ohm for short runs <25 ft) and put TS 1/4"s on it.

-just order 4 pair snake from a Belden distributor like Clark, Mouser or Anixter -As for the "stage rated jacket" version of of Belden 9504 or 8304 I've done this all the time for stage looping between amps and pedals etc.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Paint the cables a flourescent colour so bandmates stop kicking them when they're walking around not paying attention?
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  Op -You just need a stage rated jacket on an 22AWG or 22AWG 4 pair twisted pair with Analog Impedance ratings (but you can do digital impedance like 110 ohm for short runs <25 ft) and put TS 1/4"s on it.

-just order 4 pair snake from a Belden distributor like Clark, Mouser or Anixter -As for the "stage rated jacket" version of of Belden 9504 or 8304 I've done this all the time for stage looping between amps and pedals etc.
                  That’s a great idea.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

How are you shielding them?

I've always just used cable ties, and different colors electrical tape looped around the ends. I did that with a regular pedalboard too, some pedals in front, some in the loop, so it was basically the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      How are you shielding them?

I've always just used cable ties, and different colors electrical tape looped around the ends. I did that with a regular pedalboard too, some pedals in front, some in the loop, so it was basically the same thing.
                      That works too, using a mini snake style is pretty much the ultimate in a single clean cable solution is why I mentioned it.

Great question on the shielding part, I forgot to list some of those -For individual shields (where the worry is interference from your parallel conductors cables, use one of the Belden parts has it's own individual bedfoil shield

Many choices from Belden. I prefer them because they are the professional standard, and actually make much of the cable you think your buying from someone else. But Commscope is going to have some options as well as Mogami etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-17 23.52.23.png
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	5813294

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-18 00.06.45.png
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	5813296

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-18 00.06.57.png
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	5813297
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by NegativeEase; 03-17-2019, 10:10 PM.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Also, there are companies that custom build those things, bundling power cables along with the signal cables. It looks very clean, but I'd imagine there is some heavy-duty shielding going on there to do that.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

PedalSnake, the world's first configurable, multi-channel, all-in-one pedals-to-amp cable system for guitar effects pedals. The Most Elegant Solution.

Comment

I love my pedal snale. The tails are a little pricey, especially because I like having backups, but it makes setting up my rig a snap.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                              That's pretty cool stuff -love it -about 3x what it would cost to build yourself if someone here is short of on cash or loves building stuff, but building can be a pain

If you have some extra money to throw at a setup for quick releases and all kind of cool setups -this is the ultimate company from custom configs -I use them for mobile recording setups, studio stuff, and some crazy RIgs where I only want one connector to plug in.

Warning, this stuff is Expensive

Comment

Working...
                              X