banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought A Line 6 HX Stomp.........................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought A Line 6 HX Stomp.........................

I have owned TC Electronics G System and Nova System and I liked them a lot. But I really like my Art SGX-2000 and SGX-2000 Express and I will never let them go. I have learned much about effects/preamps with these units. My favorite presets are Blackface Twins and '51 Tweed Vibrolux so I wrote down the EQ settings for these. I then set all of my EQ settings to either one of these and I like it.

I then attempted to add these EQ settings to the HX Stomp and to my ears, is much improved and more amp-like and realistic. Some of the effects and amp modeling seem just a little harsh and in need of tweaking.

Re: Bought A Line 6 HX Stomp.........................

I have both the G-System and the HX Effects. I really like the sound of the latter, but it doesn't really work that well with my main amp, so I am holding out for the day when I find a loop that works well with it. The HX Effects sound very respectable, though, and is much more versatile. You may not get 100% there, but I have found that in many cases you can do a lot by adding an EQ to individual effect, as you say. Both units are more than good enough for me not to want to bother with pedals.

Comment

The Helix amp modelling is actually excellent, though it does lean more raw, compared to Fractal Audio's Axe-Fx in particular which tends to a smoother idealized amp sound. But you can get to the same places with either. Key is the speaker cab/mic settings. Ribbon mics tend to run fatter/less harsh, especially when backed further from the cab, in Helix's cab models.

Main issue I have with Helix is Line 6 seems to like to shoot their cab models with the mics aimed at the brightest, harshest point on the speaker. Hopefully a future update adds angled & off-axis mic location options to make the builtin models more useful.

But for now, I tend to prefer to use Impulse Responses, which sidesteps the whole issue AND offers ability to change IR with snapshots, so same amp can use 8 different speaker/mic/EQ settings in one patch. Which can be as subtle as shifting mic position and angle for more treble, to entirely switching from a twin P12N for cleans, to Alnico Cream for smooth midrange, a V30 4x12 for modern mid-focus, or a G12H30-55 for classic barky dark mids with a present bite.

You can get a bundle of free IRs from Line 6 at https://line6.com/allure/. Most IR sellers have a sample up on their website, though many of them are not representative, or of a particular speaker that may or may not appeal.

I tend to like Celestion Plus IRs, particularly the "High Gain All" [All mics] options for most of their speakers, but I'd suggest waiting for their big sales, though they do have a free sample up, I didn't think the sample was remotely as good as their own. The Suhr collection is a great place to start, a bit beefier than Celestion's standard cabs. Most Celestion Plus IRs run a bit bright, tend to slot well into mixes. The Suhrs are just a bit warmer so stand up better by themselves.

Ownhammer gets a lot of props, especially their "412 MRBW GNR M25 MMMC" set. Which is an amazing all-around G12M25 cabinet. Tend to require post-EQ more often to sit in mix, but in exchange are often more satisfying and less fussy solo.
      Last edited by Despair; 03-23-2019, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention the obvious downside of IRs for Stomp users: It eats up one of your 6 slots in a patch. Learning how to get close to the sound you like with the builtin cab models, by tweaking mic position and the high & low cut built into the cab, will help for single pedal grab & go situations. You can change mic distance, hi/low cut freqs, early reflection percent and level with snapshots, too, though sadly not the mic or speaker cab.

Oh, I think the Stomp only has ready access to 3 snaps, due to form factor issues (though more may be accessible with external footswitches/MIDI CC).

If you are using the HX Stomp as a recording interface, you may want to look into Helix Native (plugin version of the Helix... Spring patch is going to offer a mode with more simultaneous effects than you can do with any of the hardware units... If you have a fast enough computer). There's a discount for Helix hardware owners, which I believe stacks with the periodic 30% off sales Line 6 offers on their software.

Comment

Thank you for all of that, you are more experienced than I. I need to learn about IR's and how to use them. I am an old school guy trying to understand and utilize all of these new technologies. I appreciate any information that can get me there. I like running these new technology effects into vacuum tubs amps and analog pedals. Trying to achieve the best of both worlds.

Comment

A bassist friend of mine recently got the Stomp.

I've been a Helix Floor user going on 2 years.
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
            X