banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power amp simulation in pedal format, how good is it nowadays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power amp simulation in pedal format, how good is it nowadays?

I am already happy with my rig and sound, it is light, portable and loud. I have a tube preamp pedal into a SS power amp into real guitar cabs with Celestion Speakers. So far so good but I was wondering as much as technology has improved maybe I can put a power amp simulation in between and maybe that can help improve my live sound.

Guitar > AMT SS-20 tube preamp > FX > [Insert Power Amp simulation pedal here] > IPS Stealth Power Amp

Please notice I would turn the CAB simulation OFF.

I was thinking on Mooer Radar, Two Notes CAB M and AMT Pangea but honestly I have not found much comments on how realistic or useful the power amp simulations are in these devices. Have you use these power amp simulations your self? Are this just a feature listed to sell or do they really help to get a more realistic tube amp sound from a SS power amp section?
    Who took my guitar?

Re: Power amp simulation in pedal format, how good is it nowadays?

While the Mooer Radar does have a power amp out, I think it's motsly designed as a Cab sim. I don't think it simulates a power amp. The Baby Bomb is their dedicated power amp, but that's an actual power amp, not a sim.

Would a simulated power amp even work if you're running it into an actual power amp afterwards?
    Last edited by Coma; 03-26-2019, 07:13 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

You could hear a tonal change if the power tube parameters were changed in the torpedo units. I don't know if they add a compression feature like real tubes do to the final sound that you can feel playing when connected to an actual cab.

You are trying to get the AMT to be more touch sensitive I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
        You are trying to get the AMT to be more touch sensitive I guess?
        Maybe, I have never owned a full tube amp but the ones I have tried the notes seem to jump out of the speaker in a different way. Don't get me wrong, I really like the SS-20 + Stealth power amp, just trying to tweak it a little bit. For example I have read for some classic marshall sounds the power amp distortion is more important than the preamp distortion.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
        X