X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD - A modded classic!

Monster Mods Blue Screamer

From Monster Mods:

My goal was to correct the issues that plague the Tubescreamer and Boss SD-1 based on user comments. Issues such as: not enough bass response, too much mid-range hump, and noise. I stack two RC4558P chips made by Texas Instruments that sound warm and soft, but rawer than the current production JRC4558D or JRC4558DD. This is Robert Keeley's first choice. The result is BETTER DISTORTION, ARTICULATION, and TRANSPARENCY, while generating less NOISE! These two chips work in parallel, mounted on top of each other and soldered together. (Keeley does this in his stacked SD-1 mod) I put a geranium diode in the clipping section. (Similar to the Keeley GE mod) I keep the asymmetrical clipping to attempt to make the pedal more "tube- like" since tubes and transformers rarely produce symmetrical distortion.

Played with it a little tonight. I dig it!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: NPD - A modded classic!

i love geraniums!

Comment

How do the geraniums fit in that enclosure???? But seriously, I've modded two of my SD-1's, both with different mods (Two different Wampler mods), and am extremely happy with the results.

Comment

I love me a Tube Screamer when it comes to juicing an amp for the leads with that mid hump.

This thing is a much better overall sound though. Nice, even, gritty mid-breakup sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          I love me a Tube Screamer when it comes to juicing an amp for the leads with that mid hump..
          That's the very best use for a standard-type tubescreamer IMO. Nothing that I've found really beats them for that.

Comment

Update: Only dislike, and a typical Boss issue - parity level is around 2 o'clock. that doesn't ;eave a ton of boost potential, but I'm ok with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Update: Only dislike, and a typical Boss issue - parity level is around 2 o'clock. that doesn't ;eave a ton of boost potential, but I'm ok with that.
              There should be another mod for that. My DS-1 is SUPER loud now.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I got the same 1980 Texas Instruments chip in this modded Tube Screamer. Definitely something to it.

Comment

It's got a great tone about. With the exception of my beloved Stamps Drive-O-Matic...probably one of my favorite OD's. At least at the moment. I've always been a stock TS9 Fanboy. Like I said - hard to beat. And I'm not an OD guy in general. But this thing is nice!

Comment

Nice, enjoy. Yep, you can mod for more output if you need it.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

do the mods change the tone? input or output impedance?

Comment

The SD-1 is one of my favorite mod platforms. I've done quite a few. One was modified to OD-1 specs (8-pin chip version) and another to TS-808 specs plus a host of others. The drop in volume is most likely due to the added clipping. The germaniums have a lower forward voltage so will clip sooner than silicone will and in return, lower clean headroom and the drop in the volume. One of those I modded I put N4001 diodes in place of the stock silicon diodes. They have a higher forward voltage and so it got louder. The added chip might have something to do with it too. Easy to fix by modding the output section. I can't remember exactly what to change though. It's been quite a few years since I did any modding.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 04-05-2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X