Clear All

• NPDx2 - Two classics

Click image for larger version

Name:	725BA19B-68BC-41CC-9C16-0AC02173C0D1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	5851140

So I got these two as part of a trade.

I already used to have an SD-1, but I sold it. I kinda missed, so I decided to get another one. I like how these get along with some amps boosting them for high-gain modern tones better than my TS808. It's slightly thinner and more aggressive, but that's a good thing for amps with kinda stuffy low mids in their core tone (my little 1W Marshall is the perfect candidate). The output level is not as strong as my TS808, though. Just by a hair, but even if I crank it, there is still a little level lost compared to it being turned off with high-output monsters like Black Winters. It's not really that big of a problem since I'm never going to use it in front of an amp set clean. I'm already looking into mods to "fix" this, though.

The DS-1... well... can't say it's my thing, lol. I accepted the trade because it looked like a fancy 40th anniversary edition, and this is a pretty popular pedal that I felt I HAD to try. Well... I'm not liking it. On a clean channel, whenever I turn it on, it's MUCH quieter than when it's off, even if I crank the output volume up. It's not even close, lol. The tone knob is useable up to like 9:00. Then, it gets icepicky FAST. If I turn the distortion up, it gets too fuzz-like, wooly, kinda muddy. If I back the gain down, it's too dry and undergained. Definitely not a metal pedal in fron of a clean channel. In front of a crunched up sound, it's better, but it's still kinda wooly/muddy. Still don't know if I should keep this one. I'm going to try it on bass, but I don't have high expectations, lol.

Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-01-2019, 05:30 PM.

Re: NPDx2 - Two classics

Hit me up if you decide to part with the DS-1. I'd like another.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Will do, man. I'm not giving up on it just yet because it's black and gold and cool, lol, but I'll let you know if I decide it's not my thing.

Comment

Classics....
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The DS-1 is meant for an already dirty amp. Try that - it should shine there. Also - there is a cool little mod I read about where all you do is clip something....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            The DS-1 is meant for an already dirty amp. Try that - it should shine there. Also - there is a cool little mod I read about where all you do is clip something....
            A vasectomy?
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              A vasectomy?
              A diode vasectomy.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The diode mod is cool, but almost turns the pedal into an OD rather than distortion. I modded the crap out of a pair of DS-1s way back when, using Bryan Wampler's guide, and came up with some really great stuff. One of them hardly distorted at all but made everything sound better, and the other was pretty gnarly.

Maybe I'm going to sell all my pedals, buy like 10 used DS-1s, and mod them all into totally different things. The synth fuzz mod is pretty neat if you wanna make some interesting noise.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  The diode mod is cool, but almost turns the pedal into an OD rather than distortion. I modded the crap out of a pair of DS-1s way back when, using Bryan Wampler's guide, and came up with some really great stuff. One of them hardly distorted at all but made everything sound better, and the other was pretty gnarly.

Maybe I'm going to sell all my pedals, buy like 10 used DS-1s, and mod them all into totally different things. The synth fuzz mod is pretty neat if you wanna make some interesting noise.
                  Just make sure that the one you mod to chorus specs stays on.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                    Just make sure that the one you mod to chorus specs stays on.
                    Ha! (I get it.)

Comment

Working...
                    X