Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A grittier sounding 808/TS9 ?

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Absolutely. I've had great results tweaking the sounds of my overdrives, improving the sound or making it grittier. Starting with a light od such as the East river drive.
    Sweet . . . thanks . . . i will then deff look what an EQ can do for me.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
      No love for the Boss SD1?
      My SD1 . . . does not sound like an SD1 any more

Click image for larger version

Name:	boss sd1 OD mod ture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	5814057
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
        That is what I came here to say.
        Although I am not exactly sure what "grittier" means? Less smooth?
        . . . pretty much, yes !

Comment

Maybe you should try an SD-1 that...still sounds like an SD-1?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
            Maybe you should try an SD-1 that...still sounds like an SD-1?

. . . i'll try my MXR Zak Wylde ZW44 again . . . as it is based on an SD-1.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
              I saw a Blues Rock band last night, and the guitar player used the usual suspects.
              Fender Strat, TS9, (some 2nd overdrive . . . i think it was an Akai unit) and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40W, 1X12)

It is the best Strat tone that i have heard live / attended.
              I was never a tube screamer fan, and sold my TS9 a year ago.
              I am wiling to try again, but this time i am looking for an overdrive with all the 808/TS9 qualities, but slighly grittier in it's tonal charcter.

Is there such a thing ?

Thanks to all.
              Try a TS808 with a battery that’s got less juice. I don’t mean like about to die but not putting out a proper 9v.

Alternatively you could use the MXR iso brick and bring the voltage down to 6-7v but the good part is it’ll still supply the same MA current.

You’ll find the sound is more full and less top endy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tubescreamers stack famously well with other ODs. Some of the magic in that tone you liked so much probably was due to the combination of pedals that guitarist was using.

Lovepedal makes a drive called the Valve Reamer, said to be a hybrid of the TS808 and SD-9 circuits.
                I haven't seen the schematic but the thing behaves like a fatter TS with a bad attitude.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The Lovepedal Valve Reamer is pretty gritty & fits your prerequisite pretty well...

Personally I’m a big fan of TS style pedals that have active EQ’s like the Wampler Clarksdale or even Duncan’s 805.....
                  I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    Tubescreamers stack famously well with other ODs. Some of the magic in that tone you liked so much probably was due to the combination of pedals that guitarist was using.

Lovepedal makes a drive called the Valve Reamer, said to be a hybrid of the TS808 and SD-9 circuits.
                    I haven't seen the schematic but the thing behaves like a fatter TS with a bad attitude.
                    Thanks for the heads-up.
                    Deff gonna look into that one this evening.

Comment

Working...
                    X