Best spot for always on compressor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best spot for always on compressor.

I use a standard board of tuner>overdrive>boost.reverb>delay>amp. I would like to use n always on MXR Compressor but not sure where to put it
    so I don't lose any volume or tone suck. My place is too small for a try out (neighbors/condo) so any thoughts?
    The compressor's output would be 7/8 and the sensitivity rather low on about 2/3 (scale of 1-10)
    Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Best spot for always on compressor.

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
    I use a standard board of tuner>overdrive>boost.reverb>delay>amp. I would like to use n always on MXR Compressor but not sure where to put it
    so I don't lose any volume or tone suck. My place is too small for a try out (neighbors/condo) so any thoughts?
    The compressor's output would be 7/8 and the sensitivity rather low on about 2/3 (scale of 1-10)
    Thanks,
    Steve
    If you are using the compressor as a limiter/AGC for your overall gain structure before your preamp circuit, then after all you pedals -except delay and reverb.

If you are using the Compressor for the "sound" of a compressor as an effect - then at the very begining of your chain right after the guitar (except MAYBE tuner)

If you are looking to smooth out your playing with a compressor then at the very begining of your chain

*****One note, there is a lot of merit to putting your stage tuner AFTER the compressor -because compressor (especially cheap ones and using one with very fast attacks) can actually slightly affect pitch -especially in the lowest frequencies -so to ascertain the true pitch that will reach your amp placement post tuner would be necessary -however this masks guitar problems by fixing issues downstream, purest would tell you making the guitar right first is important, but if so you would need to put 2 in line tuners in your chain in order to monitor the compressor -which literally no one does.*****

*****EDIT Addition****
    ADDING THIS POINT

One more thing, Some compressors are good with an OD/Boost in front of them... If you have a great sounding boost like an Xotic, Archer etc thats fun to experiment with -OR use the gain compensation on the compressor to push the output above unity (Kick the output volume up on the compressor) thus using the compressor as a boost/OD -but probably only if you have a great compressor -otherwise it will be a noisy mess..

Also -this is what a great F**king great compressor looks like

Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-14-2019, 09:20 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

NegativeEase, thanks for responding.
      I want the effect, to a lesser degree, but I also want the volume boost most of all along with that small amount of effect. I am not concerned with the tuning issue, but that is good information I didn't know before. Thanks.
      Steve

Comment

I would put it after the overdrive and before the boost.

Comment

Thanks guys,
          I'll try both, at the end before rev/delay, and after the overdrive.
          SB

Comment

OK,
            I put it after there the overdrive, before the boost and rev/delay and it really worked well, so thanks to NegativeEase and beaubrummels!!
            SB

Comment

NegE covered it.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I edited my original stuff to add another important point -See post #2
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

NegativeEase -
                  Thanks again. I use a new MXR Compressor. To your added point, I am using it between a Zen Drive (MXR ABOVE unity) and my Archer Boost (volume around 4/5, gain low). I have a "Philosopher's Stone" - but I like the simplicity of the MXR. Although I REALLY like the "Release" function (M-F-S) on the Greer Lamplighter. With all systems "go" the noise level seems acceptable, at least as far as I can tell in my condo. Using a Blues Jr. with master on 10 and volume set low (around 2). On Stage I use a Hot Rod Deluxe, master on 10, volume on 5. No dirt channel ever. Extension cab (homemade) with a V-30. Yes, I made the cab, it is very ugly, but it sounds great. Black semi-gloss spray paint covers many sins. Thanks, again!
                  SB

Comment

I've been playing around with this a bit lately, and prefer the compressor near the front of my board if it's going to be always on.

Guitar -> Phaser -> Compressor -> Fuzz -> Wah -> OD/Boost -> Preamp

Effects Loop Send -> Chorus -> Delay -> Tremolo -> Effects Loop Return

Compression makes your gain pedals feel a little smoother and more controlled when put before them. Afterwards it's too easy to get a neutered/squashed sound, and if you use gain pedals to boos your signal a bit this obviously won't work with the compressor afterwards.

I like compression after a phaser for clean playing. The phaser naturally boosts/reduces your frequencies as it sweeps, and compressing after helps keep this very even sounding. A wah does something similar, but I find that putting the compressor after the wah fundamentally changes the sound of the effect . . . the volume drop is part of what my ears expect wah to do I guess.

If you set the compressor just right, you can just barely bring up the volume of single note lines and bring down the volume of strummed chords . . . the net effect being that you can hear more of what the guitar is playing. Dick around with the attack/release settings and you should be able to keep a lot of the difference in sound that hitting the strings hard vs soft will do. I like the always on setting for a compressor when using single coils, and with very subtle compression settings.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                    X