TC MIMIQ stereo operation test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC MIMIQ stereo operation test

I met some observations of the stereo operation of this pedal here and there on forums that doesn't really fit my experience with it. So here is some test I did for myself to find the best solution. Some who is thinking about buying that / using it for a similar setup may find this useful, too. You can hear where and how it starts to develop artifacts instead of I say - you say.

Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-21-2019, 10:12 PM. Reason: typos
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Re: TC MIMIQ stereo operation test

I haven't have the chance to play a proper stereo rig with it, meaning two cabs on each side of the band/stage. So far I have used it for rehearsing in a dry/wet configuration with a pair of stacked 1x12s, boy I liked the stacked 1x12s already because using different speakers blending their sound in the room but when I added the TC Mimiq into the signal chain somehow my rig became a better sounding rig for me, it is hard to describe.

About the phasing you said, I could not notice much but in my case I use the "tigthness" knob pretty high so I guess that helps.

Edit: I use a single AMT SS-20 preamp into ISP Stealth Power Amp.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Did you used it in stereo or in mono "double / triple voice" overdub? That completely makes sense that way, too.

The phasing is not deadly, it is in the second take of my demo. I concluded that MIMIQ first, splitting the signal to AMP1 and AMP2 is my fav wiring. The application will be a single-guitarist trio. Guitar, MIMIQ, 2 different AMT pedals, stereo DI box. It will go directly to the PA.
      Wackor
      Ørdøg
      NecroPolo
      Diabolus in Musica
      SIDrip Alliance
      Book of Shadows
      RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
        Did you used it in stereo or in mono "double / triple voice" overdub? That completely makes sense that way, too.
        Out of the SS-20 preamp into a "spliter pedal" then all my effects thru left channel, dry with no effects on right channel, both these into TC Mimiq stereo inputs, then TC Mimiq stereo outputs into a stereo power amp, into a couple of 1x12 cabs stacked, different speakers on each cab. Mimiq made it sound even better, I guess the slight difference makes the dry sound to have more definition that what the wet/dry already does.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

That makes sense. Also gave me an idea I'll be testing soon.

Guitar gear... Combinations never end.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

I did a playthrough with the very same rig, single guitar into the MIMIQ into two AMT preamp pedals (cab sim out) into the soundcard directly.

It is about 70% the actual MIMIQ widened stereo recording that the video displays and 30% the original L/R guitar tracks in the mix.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Sounds killer..I can't really tell the Mimiq apart from the L/R tracks. Great tune too....I hear some Voivod-ish Astronomy Domine in there
              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                Sounds killer..I can't really tell the Mimiq apart from the L/R tracks. Great tune too....I hear some Voivod-ish Astronomy Domine in there
                Thanks in the name of bytes and pieces, I'm glad that you like it.

Yep those little boxes are true giant killers. I'm not saying that for album recording I would not use the Marshall but I'd definitely keep this option. But for live situations, these playthrough videos and other typical everyday use, coupled with the MIMIQ, I think this setup is pretty functional.
                Wackor
                Ørdøg
                NecroPolo
                Diabolus in Musica
                SIDrip Alliance
                Book of Shadows
                RKH

Comment

I recorded all my parts for my band's last EP with the Mimiq (Guitar - Mimiq - Sound card - Bias FX - Reaper) and apparently there were some pretty bad phasing issues when we did the mixing. But I'm not a sound tech, so I have no idea what those issues were. The raw mix sounded fine to my ears.
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  1973 Aria 551
                  1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                  1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                  1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                  1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                  1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                  2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                    I recorded all my parts for my band's last EP with the Mimiq (Guitar - Mimiq - Sound card - Bias FX - Reaper) and apparently there were some pretty bad phasing issues when we did the mixing. But I'm not a sound tech, so I have no idea what those issues were. The raw mix sounded fine to my ears.
                    Probably mono compatibility.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

There is some sort of switch between the algorythms every 10 seconds or so that changes the phase. As it is a computer in the core, I think it can be set to a single one to make life easier but I'll have to research / contact the support to confirm that.

As I've said, it is not deadly at all onstage and for youtube videos and the like. Well, especially youtube videos that are watched many times on phones and the like that sounds like **** anyway.

For recording an album I would not use it for laying rhythm tracks (for solos, I think maybe), the normal L/R tracks recorded separately is the way to go there.

I'd surely keep the option of tracking with AMT pedals as they are quick and I prefer their response to any amp sim plug-in running on my computer but I record line guitars as well anyway so before mixing I'll run/reamp the signal through the big rig the traditional way using microphones, preamps compressors e.t.c. During all the mixing crapola, I usually include the AMT track as a layer this way or an another.
                      Wackor
                      Ørdøg
                      NecroPolo
                      Diabolus in Musica
                      SIDrip Alliance
                      Book of Shadows
                      RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                        Probably mono compatibility.
                        Which isn't really a 'problem' any longer; mono compatibility is a choice these days. You can opt to use it or not.
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                          There is some sort of switch between the algorythms every 10 seconds or so that changes the phase. As it is a computer in the core, I think it can be set to a single one to make life easier but I'll have to research / contact the support to confirm that.

As I've said, it is not deadly at all onstage and for youtube videos and the like. Well, especially youtube videos that are watched many times on phones and the like that sounds like **** anyway.

For recording an album I would not use it for laying rhythm tracks (for solos, I think maybe), the normal L/R tracks recorded separately is the way to go there.

I'd surely keep the option of tracking with AMT pedals as they are quick and I prefer their response to any amp sim plug-in running on my computer but I record line guitars as well anyway so before mixing I'll run/reamp the signal through the big rig the traditional way using microphones, preamps compressors e.t.c. During all the mixing crapola, I usually include the AMT track as a layer this way or an another.
                          I totally agree with this approach and would do the same: for rhythm parts, tracking is definitely the way to go, maybe even harmony parts, too. For solos, the Mimiq can really add something unique without having to replicate the solo multiple times.
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                          X