digital or analog EQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital or analog EQ?

With the new Boss EQ 200 series pedal coming out. Without actually trying it out what are your thoughts in general with eq pedals? Analog for a natural structure change in your overall tone keeping it in the analog world or going digital with all the flexibility and saved patches. Seems like a part of the signal chain you would want to keep analog like OD style pedals.

Re: digital or analog EQ?

I care about noise, precision (how easily can I boost/cut a particular important frequency), and ease of switching from one setting to another with an EQ. Bonus points if there's a master volume slider. Digital/analog makes zero difference to me, you can get great sound from either.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

As long as the A/D and D/A converters are high quality, a digital provides a lot more flexibility. The knock on digital drive is that you need to model the non-linear distortion of tubes or even solid state components. For EQ, the digital functions have been written and refined for the hifi world for a while.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Agreed -it’s all about quality -if they are faithfully transparent -it’s just whether you want the more powerful precision of digital, which isn't a must - but is cool (I use Analog)

If you change between types of guitars often or on stage -like single coil to HB or solid body to center block I feel an EQ Pedal is a godsend -especially at the essential 400 and 800 hz control
        Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-17-2019, 08:59 AM.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

That thing is sweet. My only complaint, is that it only has four memory's. In this day and age of digital technology, I would think that having many more wouldn't be too difficult. Or at least, the ability to save and upload settings to a laptop via USB, effectively giving you infinite setups. Still, I may need to snag one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I care about noise, precision (how easily can I boost/cut a particular important frequency), and ease of switching from one setting to another with an EQ. Bonus points if there's a master volume slider. Digital/analog makes zero difference to me, you can get great sound from either.
            This is pretty much how I feel about any piece of gear.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              This is pretty much how I feel about any piece of gear.
              You must have a lot of master volume sliders!
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
              X