banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the MXR 5150 pedal be used as a standalone preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the MXR 5150 pedal be used as a standalone preamp?

Straight into the FX return of an amp, I mean. Or is it meant to be run into a clean channel only?

I remember trying it briefly before, and thinking it was kinda dull and not bright enough when used as a preamp, but that was, like I said, brief and a long time ago.

Maybe someone runs it this way and has a different experience? I'd really like it to be usable this way. I'm a huge fan of 5150 amps' tone, and would like the pedal to practice at home.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-26-2019, 02:30 PM.

Re: Can the MXR 5150 pedal be used as a standalone preamp?

Give it a shot and see if you like it.
    Generally most dirt pedals sound better in front of the amp, but let your ears tell you what you like best.

Comment

That's the thing. I can't try it before buying it since I'd have to order it, and my amp doesn't have a clean channel, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        That's the thing. I can't try it before buying it since I'd have to order it, and my amp doesn't have a clean channel, LOL.
        I see the dilemma.

Comment

Short answer -yes it can.

I plug my MXR Custom Badass Overdrive direct into the FX return of my Marshall JCM 800 2210 to compare pedal tone at high volume versus other equipment all the time.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

...but make sure you have a good return policy.

Generally pedals intended to be used as preamps have a switch to add extra presence.
            Last edited by PFDarkside; 06-26-2019, 04:47 PM.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Generally pedals intended to be used as preamps have a switch to add extra presence.
              Indeed -thats a great point.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It probably wouldn't be my first choice if that was going to be it's sole purpose, I'd probably look at an AMT P1 or P2, and you can probably find one cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Straight into the FX return of an amp, I mean. Or is it meant to be run into a clean channel only?

I remember trying it briefly before, and thinking it was kinda dull and not bright enough when used as a preamp, but that was, like I said, brief and a long time ago.

Maybe someone runs it this way and has a different experience? I'd really like it to be usable this way. I'm a huge fan of 5150 amps' tone, and would like the pedal to practice at home.

Thanks.
                  Man you need one of those new Mooer micro preamps. They make one that models the old original 5150 and one that models the newer 5150 III. Check em out. They're like 20 different ones. They have built in cab simulation you can turn on and off.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
                  "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Reading the ad copy, they describe it as just a dirt pedal, not as a preamp. The fact that it has passive T,M,B controls makes me think that it isn't a preamp as its primary function.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

So wait, FX loop returns are supposed to sound dark and dull then?
                      I thought my amp just had a ****ty loop design or something. I've used dirt pedals in the past straight into it and I've had to seriously boost the highs with them.

Anyhow, if you're determined to get the 5150 tone and you know you'll have to use it as a preamp, why not buy an AMT pedal instead?
                      Seems to be perfect for you.
                      Last edited by Diego; 07-06-2019, 07:30 PM.
                      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

The Mooer pedals are nice and 2 channel, just turn off the speaker sim if you are running into the fx return and a cab.

For what you want the AMT (analog) or Mooer (digital) are better options than the MXR pedal, and the good news is that either of these is also cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                        X