Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In serach of a "above average" EQ pedal

Hi everyone,

I'm on the market for a EQ pedal, I recently had a EarthQuaker Tone Job, but was really using it more as a clean boost.

I've been doing little research as far as EQ's go. It seems the Boss GE-7, Empress EQ & MXR 10 band EQ are most promising.

Could anybody fill me in on these? I read the Boss is a hit or miss, some have "hissing" issues, the MXR I read can rob some tone, haven't heard anything about Empress EQ but to be honest I'm not looking to dish out nearly $300.00 for it, I'm sure its a top of the line EQ but I'm no pro. Id also like it to be a slid bar EQ oppose to the knobs.

I'd like it to also be Analog, thanks!
    Last edited by Skater; 07-02-2019, 07:29 AM.
    Jackson Custom Tele
    Epiphone G400 PRO
    Marshall DSL40C w/V30
    GLS Audio
    Ernie Ball
    Dunlop
    SD-1

Play music to skate too 🤙

Re: In serach of a "above average" EQ pedal

OP, here's the best options IMO.

The MXR 10 band is super cool (too Big IMO) but the I like the Boss 7band better - so buy a used Boss GE-7 and you'll have a good EQ pedal

but even better, mail it to Analog Man and for 55 bucks they will make it even better and quieter.
    Basically the best analog EQ on the market when you get it back.

From Analog Man:
    The GE-7 is a very popular EQ pedal. But it can add some noise if you move the sliders away from the center. Even bringing a slider DOWN will add noise, try it! Our mod replaces three chips with the King of Tone chip, which is a low noise chip designed for tone controls, so it's perfect in this application. We also change a bunch of cheap capacitors used for tone control to high grade metal film caps. This lowers noise and improves tone. We also move the frequency of the lowest 100Hz slider up a bit, as it's too low for normal guitar use. The chips we use take about 40% more power (goes from 16mA to 23mA), so a battery will not last as long, better to use a power supply. A normal alkaline battery will still last over 15 hours, so you can still use batteries if you want.

VOLTAGE : The stock GE-7 can not be run over 15V. We modify it so it will run fine on 18V, which will give even more clarity and headroom to the pedal. Before the mod, the pedal has a slight honkiness and the highs are a bit dull. After the mod, the SNAP is back in your playing- the transients and highs sound a lot better. And of course there is less noise. Thanks to the people on the diystompboxes forum who posted info on modding this pedal. We used their ideas and tweaked it a bit to make it the best sound for the price. We can modify the old or new GE-7 pedals. The mod is $55 on your pedal or we will sell you a new GE-7/Pro pedal for $155 with the mods. We can also install a super bright LED in different colors. For new modified pedal orders, see buyanalogman.com Brent Mason got one of these in late 2011 to use along with his TR-2/Super pedal.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've had a Boss GE-7 for ages and I love it. I use it mainly as a clean boost with the mids pushed slightly, currently in front of the amp but I have also used it in an effects loop. I've never noticed the alleged hissing issue, but I don't use it on extreme settings. It's versatile and it's BOSS so it will last.

Comment

Are there certain years that should be avoided completely?

This may seem very stupid so forgive me, Are the BOSS GE7 analog? Im kinda picky when it comes to output.
        Last edited by Skater; 07-02-2019, 11:06 AM.
        Jackson Custom Tele
        Epiphone G400 PRO
        Marshall DSL40C w/V30
        GLS Audio
        Ernie Ball
        Dunlop
        SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Skater View Post
          Are there certain years that should be avoided completely?

This may seem very stupid so forgive me, Are the BOSS GE7 analog? Im kinda picky when it comes to output.
          Yes, it's analog - after the analog man mod with new chips and caps -the year won't likely matter what year.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Monte Allums has DIY mod kits for the GE-7 too, probably won't get the 18V option but I've had good luck with his kits when I didn't want to figure out mods myself.

Comment

I've modded my own GE-7, cut the noise down considerably...

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
                I've modded my own GE-7, cut the noise down considerably...
                What all did you mod? caps?

Comment

#1 What are you going to do with this pedal? Just Clean Boost? Then don't get an EQ.

#2 What amp, and in the loop or into the front?

#3 Finally, why analog?
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    #1 What are you going to do with this pedal? Just Clean Boost? Then don't get an EQ.

#2 What amp, and in the loop or into the front?

#3 Finally, why analog?
                    I really just want to shape my tone a bit, not a boost, as I mentioned before I have a EarthQuaker pedal for that, amp in the front is going to be(getting new tubes) a Jcm 900 4500. Into 1 x12 V30 cab. The pedals I currently have are mostly boss, guitar->Sd-1->Tu-2->amp. I'd figure I'd put the eq in the middle.
                    Jackson Custom Tele
                    Epiphone G400 PRO
                    Marshall DSL40C w/V30
                    GLS Audio
                    Ernie Ball
                    Dunlop
                    SD-1

Comment

I modded my Ge7 with the Monte Allums mod and it did cut down on the noise.

Keep in mind and EQ in the front acts very differently to an EQ in the loop.
                      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        What all did you mod? caps?
                        Swapped out the op-amps (I think there were three) for higher quality versions (I think I used NE5532P's), and swapped out the electrolytic caps for Poly Film.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
                          Swapped out the op-amps (I think there were three) for higher quality versions (I think I used NE5532P's), and swapped out the electrolytic caps for Poly Film.
                          Cool, so essentially the identical mod Analog man performs then -What was the cost (not including your time of course)

Comment

OP, a good quiet Analog EQ pedal will do everything you need for a guitar EQ -except storing multiple presets and advanced parametric bandwidth control which is not something most guitarists in the world fool with (With analog you either memorize the 7 band settings or write them down on tape on the pedal)

If you go Digital, buy a really really good one -because cheap D/A conversion and back can introduce a high pitch digital noise which is annoying as hell. Someone on here can recommend a good one.

If you buy Analog just make sure it's a quality on like an MXR, Ibanez or Boss etc and if its a little noisy -do the mod.

Also, if you plan on using 2 guitars to switch between gig into a pedal chain and amp -an EQ pedal is a godsend.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              Cool, so essentially the identical mod Analog man performs then -What was the cost (not including your time of course)
                              The op-amps were about $1.00 a piece (I always have them in stock, as I build my own OD pedals, as well as mod other effects), and the caps run about $0.35 a piece, so it's not expensive. I use Digikey (www.digikey.com), and Mouser (www.mouser.com) for my component vendors.

Comment

Working...
                              X