Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal board depth

Hello all,
    Over the years I've been searching for the correct pedal board. Currently I have a Pedaltrain pro which is their largest board. I'm currently checking out Temple Audio and noticed something about most pedal boards I'm surprised hasn't been addressed unless I'm missing something.
    Most larger Pedalboards are only 16 inches deep. This is just an inch or 2 to small for 3 rows of pedals or 2 rows with a Pedal switcher. Why on earth wouldn't someone build a pedalboard 18 inches deep giving us Pedal lovers enough room to have either top jacks or side jacks and slightly larger then standard boss pedals on our boards comfortably?

Re: Pedal board depth

If they thought they could make a profit on it, they would make it. Eventually, someone will. Then someone else will wonder why there isn't one just a little bit bigger. Lather, rinse, repeat

Comment

Yes, it just keeps expanding. The Pedaltrain 2 size fit two rows of boss pedals comfortably. Then people were using single strip true Bypass loopers so the Pro size was made. Now they are using Strymon Timeline/Boss DD-500 sized pedals so the Novo size was created. Now that larger loop switchers are being used, they’ll probably expand again. Actually a Pro gives you two rows for the ES-8, one row for the cables and two rows for the pedals. It’s the low profile jacks that have allowed tighter spacing with a big loop switcher.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I split my board into 2 small wide skinny boards to do the opposite although they can be placed back together to make a big board like normal. This way my switchable effects needed during a song are under foot (compressor, OD, tuner, shifter) and my effects always on OR on for entire song are back at the amp onstage (Reverb, Tremelo, Organ, delay etc)

This way you have both options, also easy to transport with both have strap padded smaller cases... no lugging a big case. I fly with mine all the time and even check them from time to time

Just something to consider
        Last edited by NegativeEase; 07-04-2019, 07:27 AM.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          Yes, it just keeps expanding. The Pedaltrain 2 size fit two rows of boss pedals comfortably. Then people were using single strip true Bypass loopers so the Pro size was made. Now they are using Strymon Timeline/Boss DD-500 sized pedals so the Novo size was created. Now that larger loop switchers are being used, they’ll probably expand again. Actually a Pro gives you two rows for the ES-8, one row for the cables and two rows for the pedals. It’s the low profile jacks that have allowed tighter spacing with a big loop switcher.
          I actually find the Pedaltrain Pro to not fit pedals nicely. I think it should be another inch or 2 deeper. The Boss ES-8 has Midi and TRS cable jcks that get in the way of the next row. I know pedaltraim makes pedal raisers which if they where smart they would make out to go over the connections of the ES_8 since it's a very popular Switcher. This way you could easily use that intended 2nd row with a raiser to route the wiring underneath the raiser. have cutouts in the exact spots. I think this would be a wonderful upgrade piece. I just have to get pedal train to build one.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
            I actually find the Pedaltrain Pro to not fit pedals nicely. I think it should be another inch or 2 deeper. The Boss ES-8 has Midi and TRS cable jcks that get in the way of the next row. I know pedaltraim makes pedal raisers which if they where smart they would make out to go over the connections of the ES_8 since it's a very popular Switcher. This way you could easily use that intended 2nd row with a raiser to route the wiring underneath the raiser. have cutouts in the exact spots. I think this would be a wonderful upgrade piece. I just have to get pedal train to build one.
            I mocked up my ES-8 board (Pro) with a Mini as a riser over the jack area of the ES-8. I even got IKEA cabinet legs to mount it. Just too big in the end, too many pedals. I stripped it back and I still think I have too many pedals on it.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Using a Mini isn't a bad idea. You would just need enough room for the Cables to go underneath. I don't think this is a bad idea. I may consider this as a move. Cabinet legs how tall where they?

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                Using a Mini isn't a bad idea. You would just need enough room for the Cables to go underneath. I don't think this is a bad idea. I may consider this as a move. Cabinet legs how tall where they?
                Metro would work too.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've built a lot of professional pedal boards, road kits, studio, soundstage and custom staging stuff

Sorry if you are poor for the rest of your life it's so damn fun to make stuff

Get cracking on your robot, fixture or gantry with this luxurious extruded aluminum starter kit. You get tons of stuff, so you won't end up frustrated and missing a component. The pieces ...

For larger scale design here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-07-04 11.33.12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	5814885

Name:	Screenshot 2019-07-04 11.33.41.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	5814883

Name:	Screenshot 2019-07-04 11.33.26.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	5814884

Name:	Screenshot 2019-07-04 11.33.41.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	5814883
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Build your own - it's too easy not to, and cheaper. Bonus, you get exactly size/shape you want.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I dig the DIY thing...that's what I did. But I wish I was better at it, I would make all kinds of stuff.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Planning is key - you can make stuff simply and easily just by planning, measuring, and doing it simply instead of trying to make pro-cabinetry level furniture.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

That's usually my deal also,,,,,,,,,,,need to find a talent booster pedal for craftsmanship.

Comment

Doubling down on Aceman's comment. OP -you need to experiment with as many possible permutation of pedal order and settings to really dial in your pedal planning -also how you use them and when, and if some need to be in front of you and some you never touch during the songs. Otherwise you'll do a bunch of work that gets blown up all the time, that or make a setup that is flexible and agile for changes -however, that tends to make for a larger board than necessary -which may not be a big deal for you, unless you are already or start traveling distances to gigs, then size and efficiency may matter a lot.

Comment

Working...
                            X