Hardware or plugins? Late night recording other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware or plugins? Late night recording other

What do you guys prefer? What is more convenient a computer or hardware?
    Does hardware ( helix, boos gt1000, pod etc..) give you better results than a cheap audio interface?
    Last edited by Willy25; 07-04-2019, 10:55 AM.

Re: Hardware or plugins? Late night recording other

I use the Helix hardware as my interface to record a dry track to the Helix native plugin

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

It's always a mix for me.

Late night practice? Plugins. Recording? Demos I use plugins for convinence and consistency, but I always do still have that dry track. For things that will be released, almost everything gets re-amped to my amps, sometimes with a mic'd cabinet, and sometimes with iR's. It really all comes down to circumstance.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I generally use my Fractal SPDIF into the interface. It is easy and fast, and I can take those sounds to the gig.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

OP: do you mean, a desktop / laptop format computer running VSTi or a Kemper / Fractal / Line6 whatever format computer running their own processing plug-ins? I think technically both are the same way compelling. It's all up to the purpose.

For recording I much prefer a desktop/laptop/VSTi method. The DAW I'm using is running on a PC anyway. It gives me more flexibility. As for literally recording guitars, I prefer the instantness of analogue amp sims, the likes of AMT, Sansamp etc. I split the signal and shoot one DI for reamping and one dirty through the analogue amp sim. I keep the dirty track as it always proved to be pretty useful during layering.

As for stage application, I think I would not want to bring a vulnerable computer to the battlezone. I prefer simple, military grade solutions there. I'm using a simple AMT M2 pedal on a doormat into the PA directly (and it totally does the job for a simple guy like me) but I see the same functionality of a rackmount and protected Kemper / AxeFX / Line6 unit for someone preferring endless options. As for price friendly solution of that branch, the Mooer LivePre is a damn impressive little unit for a digital modeller.
          Last edited by NecroPolo; 07-05-2019, 05:31 AM.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

Hardware or plugins? Late night recording other

I use plugins when recording. My DAW is Logic Pro X. I use either the bundled amp and effects plugins or AmpliTube.

For practicing at home I’m either using a Johnson J-Station with headphones, or my iRig2/AmpliTube on my iPhone 8+ with headphones.

My live rig is a Marshall Code 100 so I can emulate my recorded tones. I could record with that, but haven’t tried it yet since I stays at our rehearsal space.

I haven’t recorded with a mic’ed amp since the mid 80s. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X