treble boosts thoughts and were in chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treble boosts thoughts and were in chain

thinking abought exotic super sweet or super clean from video the super clean sounded pleasant to my ears but both out of stock at gc. and were in chain. mine starts out wah>qtron>univibe >phaser>compreser>fuzz>overdrives>delay>tremolo>re verb. I have never used one so not sure were it should go.been jaming with a new group that does alot of queen and listing to the cds to learn the songs i like the clarity of brain mays chords and found out he is a big treble boost user

Re: treble boosts thoughts and were in chain

They generally only sound right when first in chain, because part of the sound is the input impedance, which affects pickup interaction with the boost. Which is a shame, because they can hiss a fair amount, so it'd be nice to be able to put them in the loop of a modern noise gate.

Tony Iommi, Brian May and Rory Gallagher are all known for their heavy use of treble boosters. Iommi has his built into his Laney amps, IIRC. Judas Priest and Billy Gibbons are supposed to have used them quite a bit as well. And of course the unverified rumor that Eric Clapton used them with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

I mainly use the Deranged Master model in Line 6's Helix Native plugin, and don't have an adjustable impedance audio interface, but even so it generally sounds best at the front of the chain, and the most like the way Brian May uses it, though I can at least use the Helix's basic noise gate in front of it. Treble boosters name is true, but misleading, because they boost midrange heavily, they really do wild things to amp distortion. Which is part of how Brian May's guitar with single coils sounds so fat (that and he has complicated switching that lets him run them in series).

Also have to note my approval of plural on overdrives, though I often mess with OD->fuzz->OD (but have the advantage of being able to shuffle my virtual pedalboard from patch to patch). Treble booster into fuzz is a different thing, tends to make the fuzz REALLY snarl.

Comment

thanks. I will try my wamplers euphoria od>velvetfuzz>plexi od this weekend. gc had no boost in stock and no one there has used
      them. so went on internet saw wampler makes a buffer/boost might think about that so that can help with the tone getting sucked. half the time I just play straight into a great amp and speakers. booster>fuzz =snarling = KOOL THANKS

Comment

i can only speak of the germanium rangemaster clones ive used and the one i still have. they sound best into a dirty amp (or od pedal) and want to be first in the chain.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i can only speak of the germanium rangemaster clones ive used and the one i still have. they sound best into a dirty amp (or od pedal) and want to be first in the chain.
          100% what Jeremy sound.

Comment

Working...
          X