banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid-Boost pedals . . . what is out there ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mid-Boost pedals . . . what is out there ?

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    I would like one of the JHS haunting mids boost/cuts pedals.,,,,,,,,,,despite all the "controversy ".
    Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    what controversy?
    Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    Oh jeez, it's a whole "thing" over on the Gear Page. Almost as bad as the Gibson hate, and just about as rational.
    Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Haha! I’m a member over there but seldom visit. The ridiculousness is strong there.
    Hahahaha, i was about to ask the same thing about this pedal.
    Deff looking into this one too.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
      (I cannot see your pic)

700 Hz boost = TS

The best mid boost could be an graphic Eq.
      Thanks.
      I always wondered what section of the 'mid range' is boosted by a typical TS-style drive.
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        Take a look at the Seafoam Pedals Lighthouse. It makes a good midboost, but it has other functionality as well. It can function as a clean, dirty, or "nasty" boost and also has the capability of switching between a true boost, a mid boost, and a treble boost. It comes in a mini, pedal board friendly format too.
        hahahaha, i will buy one od these just based on the colour
        Thanks Christopher.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Fail Fail Fail FAIL and more FAIL!!!!!

My god - some days you guys just can't read!!!!!!

What you need SirJdF, is a Parametric EQ

I think about 80's pedals from Yamaha here. Maybe Korg, or Arion also. Boss used to(?) make something called the PQ3(?) I think?

That will let you dial in exactly the frequency, the width, and amount of boost perfectly! No - this is not a "good" EQ. This is nothing like a GE6 or an MXR 10 band. Wayyyyy cooler than that, and likely what that Demeter does, just with a preset frequency and width.

Or, if you just want a mid boost pedal, and old OD (TS9, Bad Monkey, 805, SD1, etc) will get you there, plus gain and 1-3 bands of "good EQ" according to Ibanez, Boss or whoever.
          Thanks . . . i will look into those as well

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          You want a Stone Deaf PDF-2.

Parametric EQ, clean or dirty mode, based on Josh Homme's secret weapon from the 'Rated R' era. I have two.
          I know about them . . . but never pulled the trigger one one yet - no idea really why.
          Think it is about time i get one

Originally posted by BlakeC27 View Post
          This configuration won't boost the mids per se. Rather just attenuate the low and high end to create a hump at the center frequency of the Baxandall tone.
          Understood - thanks.

Originally posted by chris effect View Post
          For tightening up a lower tuned metal tone, the fortin grind sounds killer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
          Never took any notice of this one.
          I shall look into them ASAP.

Comment

Just knowing 700k won't necessarily get you the TS mid bump.

You need to know the width of that frequency bump too. Oh wait - that what a Parametric EQ does!!!!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Fail Fail Fail FAIL and more FAIL!!!!!

My god - some days you guys just can't read!!!!!!

What you need SirJdF, is a Parametric EQ

I think about 80's pedals from Yamaha here. Maybe Korg, or Arion also. Boss used to(?) make something called the PQ3(?) I think?

That will let you dial in exactly the frequency, the width, and amount of boost perfectly! No - this is not a "good" EQ. This is nothing like a GE6 or an MXR 10 band. Wayyyyy cooler than that, and likely what that Demeter does, just with a preset frequency and width.

Or, if you just want a mid boost pedal, and old OD (TS9, Bad Monkey, 805, SD1, etc) will get you there, plus gain and 1-3 bands of "good EQ" according to Ibanez, Boss or whoever.
              Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              You want a Stone Deaf PDF-2.

Parametric EQ, clean or dirty mode, based on Josh Homme's secret weapon from the 'Rated R' era. I have two.
              Originally posted by BlakeC27 View Post
              This configuration won't boost the mids per se. Rather just attenuate the low and high end to create a hump at the center frequency of the Baxandall tone.
              Originally posted by chris effect View Post
              For tightening up a lower tuned metal tone, the fortin grind sounds killer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
              Just knowing 700k won't necessarily get you the TS mid bump.

You need to know the width of that frequency bump too. Oh wait - that what a Parametric EQ does!!!!
              Understood . . . thanks Aceman

Any Parametric EQ's that you can suggest / like ?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                Any Tube Screamer style pedal.

So literally ANY Overdrive that is painted green in the store is going to be a mid boost pedal.

NegativeEase . . . will this apply to the (green) MXR Shin-Juku Drive as well then ?

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                  NegativeEase . . . will this apply to the (green) MXR Shin-Juku Drive as well then ?
                  Interesting that they would pick Tube Screamer green for that pedal -as that pedal is a tribute to an amp. So without hearing it, I would say no.

But most anything OD with a limey to forest Green color is usually telling you that it's a Tube Screamer clone/tribute etc -which is a mid range boost/clipping.

Weird you found the one thing that likely isn't
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah, I've been looking at this one particular TS clone myself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190719-160355_Reverb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	5815029
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      Yeah, I've been looking at this one particular TS clone myself:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99918[/ATTACH]
                      you funny, you know what I mean.

and I didn't say poopy green did I?
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

That there is what Bob Falfa called "a cross between pi$$ yellow and puke green."

Comment

That color is Zinc Chromate - a military anti-corrosion coating. The inside of every plane in WWII is painted that color.

Comment

Back to Green OD's.

There are exceptions, and the variation ranges widely. But yeah - if it is Green and an OD, most likely a TS9 flavor, with mid hump (more or less, or variable, or flat switch, etc).

Comment

I usually use a Tube screamer to boost the mids so i'm guessing any clone should do the job.

Comment

I agree with Aceman the MXR 10 band EQ would be perfect for this & more versatile (and can work in the amp fx loop as well).

The classic TS hump is around 750 Hz.

I have not tried but there are pedals designed to have a single coil turned into a humbucker like the Seymour Duncan pickup booster.

I actually liked what the Demeter Mid-Boost can adds to the bridge pickup.
                                Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                                X