2x DIY Pedal Day (OD-1 clones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x DIY Pedal Day (OD-1 clones)

Finished the second one up just last night, both tested and working (Phew!) These are both Boss OD-1 Clones, with the OD-1c being more 'classic' than the OD-1n. I'll post more technical stuff below but:

With all switches up they are stock OD-1's
    EQ Switch brings back in the low end
    Clip switch switches between stock (up), Op Amp Only (middle), and alternate clipping (down).

Currently I have OD1-C with JFET Clipping (2N5457) and OD1-N with MOSFET Clipping (2N7000) but I put in sockets so I can experiment with whatever I like.

The photos don't capture the colour that well. The decal I made and used a picture from AC/DC's 'Fly on The Wall' that I edited...sink the pink!

Pedals

'C' Gutshot

'N' Gutshot

'N' Pedal

Links incase photos don't show:

Pedals: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wXG4PBVBYfQfrP3k7
    C Gut Shot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/seA8iBZTCd3Cbmrv5
    N Gut Shot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bspuXebPxQm9M7kZ8

More Technical stuff:

C has electrolytic instead of film for a few of the caps. More true to original but less clean.
    N has an extra feedback capacitor smoothing out the highs a touch
    Also had to play with risistor values for the LED's as they use different ones and the C could have been a flashlight with the stock 4.7k resistor (I went 150k I believe for that one).
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Re: 2x DIY Pedal Day (OD-1 clones)

I love the colors and the graphic on these!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

holy crap dude - those look perfect, and the switching options would be great

Comment

The OD-1 is, IMO, one of the best overdrives that ever was (the original 16-pin Raytheon RC3403AD version). I've been tempted to get the BYOC kit. Nice work on these.

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words! I always wanted to try an OD-1 but couldn't justify the cost so decided to have some fun with them. It's a real shame my phone camera won't pick up the colour and contrast properly but...aw well! Got 5 more planned already (4 different models, one double that I am building for a friend).

FYI I am using the PCB's from Aion Electronics and I couldn't be happier. The quality is top notch and the documentation is great. Maybe one day I'll get into designing my own layouts etc. but for now I'm happy building and experimenting within certain confines.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
            FYI I am using the PCB's from Aion Electronics and I couldn't be happier. The quality is top notch and the documentation is great. Maybe one day I'll get into designing my own layouts etc. but for now I'm happy building and experimenting within certain confines.
            AION do some great work. If you haven't already, check out PedalPCB. If you like AION's work, then you'll like PedalPCB for sure.

Comment

I've looked at their stuff, it looks great, and values being printed on the PCB is neat too. They just didn't / don't have what I was going for at first (classics with switchable mods). However, the tweakable wah they are coming out with is intriguing so I may need to dive into another one or two of theirs in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                I've looked at their stuff, it looks great, and values being printed on the PCB is neat too. They just didn't / don't have what I was going for at first (classics with switchable mods). However, the tweakable wah they are coming out with is intriguing so I may need to dive into another one or two of theirs in the future.
                You'll be bitten by the bug soon if you haven't been already. You're already on the slippery slope.

Comment

Working...
                X