Oops! I did it again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops! I did it again...

Fell off the wagon. Started sniffing around on eBay last week, "just looking."
    Long story short, an MXR Badass '78 Distortion will be arriving in my mailbox soon.

In my defense, a thread on this forum reminded me that I have never, ever played a DS-1 and this to me seems like the one to try.

I will report back once I get a test drive.
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 08-16-2019, 10:29 PM.

Re: Oops! I did it again...

never say never!! congrats.

the 78 distortion is quite different from a DS-1, and I prefer the 78 distortion over the boss pedal. It seems less synthetic to my ears. Anyway, let us know your impressions..

Comment

I just sold a bunch of pedals. It was hard to let my children go, but in order to be in an Airstream full time -I gotta make choices
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
        Fell off the wagon. Started sniffing around on eBay last week, "just looking."
        Long story short, an MXR Badass '78 Distortion will be arriving in my mailbox soon.

In my defense, a thread on this forum reminded me that I have never, ever played a DS-1 and this to me seems like the one to try.

I will report back once I get a test drive.
        That’s crazy. I always thought it was everybody’s first or second pedal. Glad you are fixing this.

You may have to get an actual DS-1 to compare. Maybe two, Taiwan and Japan.

Comment

Finally got our other guitar player to cease and desist on the Metal Zone. He put his 78' Badass on his board.

The drummer said "Hey - could you roll back the gain a bit?" He did, and OMG - EPIC MEGA-TONE!!!!! Definitely a cool pedal.

I may/may not be correct in this, but I believe that the 78' is modeled on the very early first run (like changed early in first production year) DS-1 models. Not that keep on on such things.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
            That’s crazy. I always thought it was everybody’s first or second pedal. Glad you are fixing this.

You may have to get an actual DS-1 to compare. Maybe two, Taiwan and Japan.
            Don't be my co-dependent!

Nope, when I first learned there was a magic box that could make my guitar sound "that way" I went with a friend to a tiny little strip mall guitar shop. They had a Tube Screamer, a DS-1, and a Ross Distortion. My bud said a mutual friend had the green one and it sounded horrible. So no TS. The proprietor tried to sell me on the Boss but once I noticed it was made in Taiwan or Japan (dunno, around 1983?) I figured just get the Ross because it was a lot cheaper. Keep in mind, they were in sealed boxes behind a glass counter. No "try before you buy."
            Used that Ross for a couple years and then switched to amps that made their own crunch. Never touched another dirt pedal until a few years ago. Now I buy a couple (or more) a year and just keep flipping.

Epic mega tone would be nice! We shall see. I'm apparently very tough to please.
            Last edited by Dave Locher; 08-10-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Cease and desist on the Metalzone?
              Blasphemy!

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope, when I first learned there was a magic box that could make my guitar sound "that way" I went with a friend to a tiny little strip mall guitar shop. They had a Tube Screamer, a DS-1, and a Ross Distortion. My bud said a mutual friend had the green one and it sounded horrible. So no TS. The proprietor tried to sell me on the Boss but once I noticed it was made in Taiwan or Japan (dunno, around 1983?) I figured just get the Ross because it was a lot cheaper. Keep in mind, they were in sealed boxes behind a glass counter. No "try before you buy."
                Used that Ross for a couple years and then switched to amps that made their own crunch. Never touched another dirt pedal until a few years ago. Now I buy a couple (or more) a year and just keep flipping.

Epic mega tone would be nice! We shall see. I'm apparently very tough to please.
                Lol

In retrospect it's crazy that you chose between an 80s TS, a JP DS-1 and a Ross.

Have fun! FWIW I have a DS-2 I keep for nostalgia that I never use in case you want to borrow it.

Comment

My first dirt box was a Washburn Stack-In-A-Box. It DELIVERED!!!
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have a Boss Super Distortion Feedbacker and Boss Super Feedbacker Distortion.

They're the same circuit. MIJ DS-1 plus you can hold the pedal down and make one note "feedback" or sustain endlessly which is super fun for psychedelic solos or noisy rock or drone.

That specific distortion is so useful for so many things.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

That Ross Distortion is a slightly tweaked MXR Distortion+, I have a brown US-made one from back then and it sounds really good, a bit warmer than my vintage Distortion+. Ross is back in business now, and they have reissued the brown Distortion pedal.
                      Al

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                        I have a Boss Super Distortion Feedbacker and Boss Super Feedbacker Distortion.

They're the same circuit. MIJ DS-1 plus you can hold the pedal down and make one note "feedback" or sustain endlessly which is super fun for psychedelic solos or noisy rock or drone.

That specific distortion is so useful for so many things.
                        I had the Super Feedbacker too...what a fun little pedal. You can really make it sound like feedback at any volume.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                          Ross is back in business now, and they have reissued the brown Distortion pedal.
                          Al
                          I would say "the grandkid of Ross is using Ross' brand (maybe without right) and selling clones"

Comment

Mine was black, made in Taiwan maybe? Pretty sure I bought it new for $20 circa 1983 or '84. It worked pretty well for me except the bypass was horrible. Horrible! I wanted my clean tone brighter than the crunch and it was the opposite: muffled cleans and piercing dirt. No tone knob either. If that thing had been true bypass or buffered I probably would have kept it forever.
                            I don't recall how much the DS-1 was but it would have been much better for my needs.

Comment

Seller didnt ship until yesterday afternoon, and used USPS First Class so I patiently wait...

Comment

Working...
                              X