Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oops! I did it again...

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    Mine was black, made in Taiwan maybe? Pretty sure I bought it new for $20 circa 1983 or '84. It worked pretty well for me except the bypass was horrible. Horrible! I wanted my clean tone brighter than the crunch and it was the opposite: muffled cleans and piercing dirt. No tone knob either. If that thing had been true bypass or buffered I probably would have kept it forever.
    Completely agree. I bought a US one and did the true bypass mod, which is trivial. I ended up selling it and getting a DOD 250 then I got a 250 reissue which worked best for me

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
      I have never, ever played a DS-1
      Same for me up to last month... I should really have bought it before.
      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Got a little sumpthin' in the mail today!
        First impressions: nice thick, tight distortion that sounds better with some guitars & amps than others. Looks great, has massive volume on tap, good range of gain although not as super high as I expected, but could really benefit from a separate bass and treble knob.
        All my guitars are maple neck 24 3/4 scale. Two have super distortion humbuckers in the bridge and they sound great through this pedal. It gives really good clarity along with the grit. But the third is a 9k paf-style with a roughcast A8 swapped in and that guitar sounds lousy through this pedal. It has too much bass (or low mids?) and too much treble at the same time. Tweaking the single tone knob just emphasises one of those two problems even more.

But the overall sound is good (better than the Super Badass I bought and sold a year ago) and I like it better than my RAT clone so I'm keeping it. I will continue to experiment and may end up using it as a boost into a dirty amp.

One weird design choice: the piercing blue "crunch" LED is on whether the pedal is on or off, at least when using an adapter? I actually prefer the sound with it off but how odd is it to have an always-on light on a pedal?

Comment

Working...
        X