banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedal to help give my sound a little bit more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedal to help give my sound a little bit more.

No, no, no, no, no.

You are all coming at it from the wrong angle. The OP said that he/she wants a "little bit more", so y'all are recommending products that can do just that. A product that can do a little more, but come up short when it's time for a lotta more. Some of these suggestions are pricey solutions with limited applications. Right now the OP may want a little more cut or a boost, but what about in the future when they want more?

I offer up the DOD Boneshaker Distortion:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190814-203245_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	5816756

Don't let the name fool you. This little box which can be had for as little as $40 new is not only a distortion, but it can be used as a clean boost, an overdrive, a fuzz pedal, an underdrive, a 3-band sweepable EQ, and the "depth" knob can even turn almost any guitar amp into a passable bass amp.

And it's not just a swiss army knife, its excellent at every little thing that it does. When I first got it, I used it to add a bit more cut to the neck position of my ES-175, but most recently I used it for a 4th of July show so that I wouldn't have to bring more than one guitar. My MIM Tele could go from cleanish twang for the country songs to a convincing Les Paul distortion for the heavier rock songs.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Pineapple360 View Post
      I no longer feel as if I really need to invest in tonnes of overdrive and distortion pedals anymore.
      OP what do you currently have for overdrive and distortion pedals? Stacking a couple of what you already have might be the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
        EH LPB-1 anyone? I had one built into my custom build "Cornhole" overdrive that gives high gain amps more of what I want, without adding anything I don't or taking away anything I do and having the switchable LPB-1 lets my push clean to low-gain amps into metal territory from classic metal to all out fuzz. Have you considered building a pedal? I took the schematic from an overdrive I liked the most but wanted to change certain things about and just compared components on a breadboard until it was perfect. You get a more personalized tone that way too.
        LPB-1 is not exactly transparent. Adds quite a bit of low end and thickness to the tone.

Since he does love the sound of AC15 as it is, I suppose it might not work that well.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          OP what do you currently have for overdrive and distortion pedals? Stacking a couple of what you already have might be the answer.
          Indeed!
          As Demanic and I picked up, he seems to have a RAT, which seems perfect for the "more, plus some added cut" that OP is looking for. Why are we the only three who aren't all "go buy these other pedals"?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            LPB-1 is not exactly transparent. Adds quite a bit of low end and thickness to the tone.

Since he does love the sound of AC15 as it is, I suppose it might not work that well.
            How about an MXR micro amp or something?
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
              How about an MXR micro amp or something?
              Probably? I don't have experience about those.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I am not sure is a Micro Amp is a solution. The OP says he wants to "cut through the mix" that is usually a tonal issue, not a volume issue. There are a lot of different applications to achieve this many have been mention in the thread. EQs, boosts, stacking will all work, I use a harmonizer or a harmonic energizer for this purpose.

Comment

I use the micro amp through the loop as a volume boost for solos with my Blackstar.

Comment

Man, I think this bad boy would make you proud

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-08-16 12.15.03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	5816777
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

So, literally every type of pedal that could be used as a boost has been suggested. Who actually uses/has used an AC15 heavily in the manner the OP describes, and if so what have you used?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have an AC15.. and recommend an EP Booster
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I don't know if OP wants to "cut through" for solos only, or all the time. I have trouble seeing the AC 15 as having a "problem cutting through" issue.

If solos only, then sure EP Booster, Treble boost, Micro amp etc.
                          If it is through the whole mix all the time, I gotta ask about what else is in the mix? What end of the mix? Loud enough? (AC 15 on stage w/ a TSL full stack and an Ampeg 8x10)

Still like EQ. Almost sounds like OP has a killer bedroom tone that is all wrong for stage....
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I play a VOX AC15 Heritage. I recommend Crowther Double Hotcake, RAT, and AC Booster. If you prefer using gain pedals, you may want to fit your AC with a Celestion Heritage G12M.

Comment

Working...
                            X