banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone with "good ears" tell me this overdrive is doing different? (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone with "good ears" tell me this overdrive is doing different? (Video)

I have watched this video several times and the Rocktron Austin Gold catches my attention every time. What is it doing differently than all the others? Boosting or cutting a frequency range that the other pedals aren't?

It comes in around 2:30 and again around 9:20.

I do not have any studio or engineering experience so I do not know exactly what I am hearing or what one would need to do to cop a similar sound.

Re: Can someone with "good ears" tell me this overdrive is doing different? (Video)

to my ears it has more emphasis in the low mids and a lot less gain than most of the other pedals, so you're not getting the fizzy top end some of the other pedals give you. With less gain you're also getting less compression. It has a lot more natural sound than a lot of those pedals.
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Re: Can someone with "good ears" tell me this overdrive is doing different? (Video)

Ah, Johan Segeborn always has good comparo vids...

I'd say the Rocktron Austin Gold simply has less overdrive. The Metal Zone sounds like ****.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

So more of a boost than an overdrive? Is that all?

Comment

I don't know what this pedal sounds like under any other setting, but it sounds like a pedal where the scoop and treble boost are narrow bandwidth ranges -like putting a graphic EQ after an overdrive.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

A couple of comments:

#1 - That guy is totally an Ace Frehley fan! Hahahahahaha

#2 Austin Gold is an under-rated Rocktron Pedal. Back when it arrived on the scene it got a lot of love.

#3 Yeah - I think it is the 'less gain' factor. At least one of the issues. The guys does a fairly ok job of leveling out the pedals, but there is a mysterious "sameness" in the settings too....rough call.

#3 That Rocktron series of pedals has a lot of cool pedals - check some out.

#4 Example of his approach - WTF did he do to the Tube Screamer????? Sounded like crap.

#5 Metal Zone. DID NOT BELONG IN THERE. But he left the sticker on because he is gonna return it. Hahahahahahah
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I rate the Way Huge Overrated Special as the best sounding. I don't know who makes it, but the MultiDrive is unique sounding. The AC Booster is a great pedal. The rest... meh. He wish he would have included the Zendrive 2. The worst? The BOSS Metal Zone, of course.

Comment

I think this video is a miss. his mic'ing of the Marshall isn't very good IMO, and he didn't try very hard on pedal settings either.

That said, I dug the Analog Man, Keely, Wampler, and MXR distortion III the highest as far as tone, OCD is good on the second clip but weak on first.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  I don't know what this pedal sounds like under any other setting, but it sounds like a pedal where the scoop and treble boost are narrow bandwidth ranges -like putting a graphic EQ after an overdrive.
                  It doesn't really have any eq controls other than a "pre bass" knob, which (I gather from reviews) adjusts the bass content before it hits the gain. But no treble or tone knob, just volume & gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    A couple of comments:

#1 - That guy is totally an Ace Frehley fan! Hahahahahaha

#2 Austin Gold is an under-rated Rocktron Pedal. Back when it arrived on the scene it got a lot of love.

#3 Yeah - I think it is the 'less gain' factor. At least one of the issues. The guys does a fairly ok job of leveling out the pedals, but there is a mysterious "sameness" in the settings too....rough call.
                    1. Isn't everyone a huge Ace Frehley fan??
                    2. I never heard of it before this video. Looked around, found some reviews, but several claim the newer version isn't as good? Don't know if that is true or hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                      It doesn't really have any eq controls other than a "pre bass" knob, which (I gather from reviews) adjusts the bass content before it hits the gain. But no treble or tone knob, just volume & gain.
                      Understood completely, but the pedal is "voiced" this way -with heavy narrow bands accentuated and dropped. -or at least it sounds that way to me.

Comment

Sure... here's my take on all of them; one listen through:

(note: "sloppy" means a good deal of compression is heard; giving sloppy compressed squishiness)

MultiDrive: kinda flat
                        OCD: pretty good
                        Overrated Special: not bad
                        Raptor: good focused mids
                        Austin Gold: good clean boost-ish
                        Red Dirt: better than Raptor; really good focused mids
                        Riot: really good clean boost-ish
                        Supro Fuzz: it's sorta fuzzy
                        Plexi Drive: just a little flat
                        AC Booster: good w/ warm mids and bite
                        Sweet Honey Overdrive: good w/ warm mids
                        Dark Matter: good, but somewhat thin
                        Power Screamer: decent & sloppy
                        Vulture: good
                        Fuzzface: good, slightly sloppy but somewhat thin
                        Tubescreamer: warm mids but no bite at all and a bit thin
                        Metal Zone: bite is too EQ focused in upper-upper hi-mids (4-8KHz?); extremely thin
                        Woodpecker: good
                        Distortion III: warm mids, good bite, slightly sloppy
                        red box w/ 5 knobs: kinda flat and sloppy
                        Brute Drive: good to really good

BTW, I hate how he vibratos.

If I were to buy one, it would be the Brute Drive.

EQ is perfect w/ the plexi, it's tight without being clinical, right amount of B/M/T, gain & compression.

Looks like Eric Gales digs 'em. Good ears.
                        Last edited by LLL; 08-18-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

The Austin Gold seemed to have the least amount of gain (set) out of all of them.

That's the biggest difference.

Comment

I hate his vibrato too! Dude does make some really interesting videos though.
                            So the big difference really is just lower gain? I guess that's what I like about it then. I thought it was more about the eq.

Comment

I should mention I only listened to the 1st part (soloing)... didn't bother with the 2nd part (rhythm)

Comment

Working...
                              X