Overdrive for Dark Terror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive for Dark Terror

I'm looking for overdrive recommendations for my Orange Dark Terror. The amp can be fizzy and dark, like it's lacking upper mids but has too much presence. It's mainly an issue at low volume. The fizz sits on top of everything and sounds like someone double-tracked the amp sound and a cheap distortion pedal.

I read that an overdrive can help smooth things out in this situation, but what overdrive do you recommend specifically? Tubescreamer? Something else? EQ pedal instead (either in the loop or in front)?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Re: Overdrive for Dark Terror

I dont have an Orange but my vote would be a Tumnus and/or an EQ pedal. I love both, the Tumnus defintely smoothes out some of the fuzz from the Distortion I have in the bridge and the eq but makes it a bit better. Even without the Tumnus, the eq pedal makes a huge difference. Im using the MXR 6 band eq.

Now some may come along and disagree with me as they may be more knowledgeable, but def smooths out the Distortion thru the Marshall.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Overdrive for Dark Terror

Had same issue with my OR15. Replaced the stock tubes with Mullards = fizz is gone. Try one either in V1 or V2.

As far as overdrives, Tumnus is a great choice [emoji106]
      Last edited by BenPerkins; 08-21-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

If you've been around here long enough you'll notice that I recommend the DOD Boneshaker a lot, and your case is no exception. Not only will you be able to get as much or as little distortion/OD as you'd like, can you use the concentric treble controls to search to search for and dial out the fizz, and the mid controls to give a boost to the upper mids.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          If you've been around here long enough you'll notice that I recommend the DOD Boneshaker a lot, and your case is no exception. Not only will you be able to get as much or as little distortion/OD as you'd like, can you use the concentric treble controls to search to search for and dial out the fizz, and the mid controls to give a boost to the upper mids.
          Great pedal, but good luck finding one. They discontinued all the DOD stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why not a Timmy OD?

Comment

Forgive me if you've tried this, but the Dark series has that Shape knob right? When I had one I found turning the knob all the way to the left gave me basically nothing but mids and sounded similar to my vintage Oranges. Might be worth trying.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If its dark, I would have said Klon style, but with Fizzy -I'd say you need something creamy too -so I would avoid a Klon style for this.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                  Forgive me if you've tried this, but the Dark series has that Shape knob right? When I had one I found turning the knob all the way to the left gave me basically nothing but mids and sounded similar to my vintage Oranges. Might be worth trying.
                  I really like the shape knob in terms of the level of control you get from only one knob, but it's really only good between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. Below 10 it can be thin sounding and past 2 it's very scooped.

Comment

Probably not what you want to hear, but up until recently I owned a Jim Root Terror, and try as I might, I could never get the fizz out of it. Swapped preamp tubes to Tung-Sols and Power Tubes to TADs, tried a clean boost, Timmy clone and TS clone in front of it and a 10 band EQ in the loop. Nothing could really fix the lack of presence or dial out the fizziness once the gain moved past 2 o'clock. YMMV.
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                      Probably not what you want to hear, but up until recently I owned a Jim Root Terror, and try as I might, I could never get the fizz out of it. Swapped preamp tubes to Tung-Sols and Power Tubes to TADs, tried a clean boost, Timmy clone and TS clone in front of it and a 10 band EQ in the loop. Nothing could really fix the lack of presence or dial out the fizziness once the gain moved past 2 o'clock. YMMV.
                      Yeah, it's definitely part of that Orange sound. I don't expect or want to get rid of it entirely, just dial it back at low volume. At high volume it seems to blend in to the overall sound better.

Anyways, I'm going to breadboard a Tubescreamer next weekend if I have time. I could do a Tumnus or Klon but it's a longer build, so I'll start simple.

Comment

I've got a Jim Root Terror, and I use an MXR Custom Badass OD, and its a brilliant pedal for tightening stuff up. It's extremely versatile with it's control set too.
                        http://www.lonephantom.com
                        http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Working...
                        X