Stereo pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo pedals

Does it make sense to purchase pedals that can run mono/stereo rather than just a mono pedal. I dont have a need for a stereo set up, so besides pedals I want that only come in mono/stereo, is there any benefit to purchasing said pedals or am I better to find mono options of said type of pedal.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Re: Stereo pedals

In some cases some stereo pedals have their counterpart in mono like TC mini pedals and such, those mono pedals cost less than their stereo counterparts. If you ever want to play with two amps in what is called wet/dry configurations you can use your mono pedals with only one of the amps (the wet sound) while the other remains dry, your sound will be enhanced by the effects but the dry amp will remain the note attack so your sound does not get lost in the FX as much as it could happen with a single amp.

On the other hand, most stereo pedals can be used in mono anyway, assuming the one you want does not have a mono only option to reduce their cost. The only benefit I could think of is some stereo effects can create some weird sounds when connecting them with some kind of loop.

Edit: After watching this video again it looks to me like this is simply cascading two of the same effects, like one delay (Left channel) into a second delay (Right channel). Not sure how useful that could be for you but I cannot think of anything else.
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 08-27-2019, 11:16 AM.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

I don't think there is any inherent benefit, except it might be more versatile. But if you don't use it in stereo, don't worry.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you have no intention of running two amps or any sort of stereo setup, I see no benefit to use stereo pedals.
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Great responses so far, so wont repeat.

Just to add - some pedals that are described as stereo are actually wet/dry output (my TRex Replica delay, for example - when used as mono, just take the wet and reduce the blend).

There is a side benefit with these pedals in that they enable you to split dry signal post gain stages for a wet/dry setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Since its just me playing at home, I really dont see me buying additional amps, though more toys the better. But then again the current room I have my stuff in isnt that big. As an example, I was looking at was the EHX Electric Mistress which is a stereo pedal. I know they make the Neo Electric Mistress that is in mono but have so much open space on my board was wanting a full size pedal to fill some of the void.

I didnt think there was a benefit of getting a stereo pedal since I have no plans on expanding my set up but just wanted others opinions in case I was missing something.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I liked having a stereo setup a few years back when I was doing it, but gave up on it years ago because the hassle wasn't worth it. There's more stuff to go wrong, more cables to bring everywhere, and you spend more time connecting your crap.

No benefit to having a stereo pedal if you're not running two amps.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                Since its just me playing at home, I really dont see me buying additional amps, though more toys the better.
                Playing in stereo at home is super fun
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                X