Question re: Catalina Chorus Expression Threshold knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: Catalina Chorus Expression Threshold knob

The Seymour Duncan Catalina Chorus is my absolute favorite chorus pedal. I have tried dozens of chorus pedals and I always return to the Catalina. It’s versatile, eminently tweakable and clean. This time, it stays on my pedalboard!

But I’m having trouble understanding how the Hard/Soft Dynamic Expression Threshold function works, and the language in the manual doesn’t help.

Here’s what I need to know: To get the max from either setting (Hard or Soft), do I turn the Threshold knob full clockwise? Do I place the knob full clockwise for Soft and full counterclockwise for Hard? Do I best leave it set in the middle? In brief, just how does that knob effect the Hard or Soft settings?

Please do not refer me to the manual. The language in the manual is vague and it doesn’t help.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Re: Question re: Catalina Chorus Expression Threshold knob

The way hard mode works is the opposite of soft: in hard mode, the harder you pick, the more chorus. The threshold knob controls how hard you have to pick to start hearing the chorus.
    In soft mode, the lighter you pick, the more chorus. The threshold knob controls how light you have to pick before you hear the chorus.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      The way hard mode works is the opposite of soft: in hard mode, the harder you pick, the more chorus. The threshold knob controls how hard you have to pick to start hearing the chorus.
      In soft mode, the lighter you pick, the more chorus. The threshold knob controls how light you have to pick before you hear the chorus.
      So, then turning the threshold knob full clockwise just means it takes harder (or softer) picking for the effect to occur...right? Positioning the knob at, say, 9 o'clock means the effect kicks in more quickly. Is that it?
      Thanks.

Comment

You got it!

Comment

Easy enough. Thanks for the help. Now I can have even more fun with the Catalina!

Comment

It is a remarkable pedal, isn't it?

Comment

It is a remarkable pedal, isn't it?
              "Remarkable" indeed. What a perfect word for the Catalina! Here's another couple words that apply: "Little-known." Really...you rarely (if ever) find the Catalina listed in those "Top Ten Chorus Pedals" pieces in magazines or in polls on websites.

Lemme think: in the past few years I've tried chorus pedals from:
              Boss
              Wampler
              Walrus Audio
              TC Electronic
              MXR
              Electro-Harmonix
              Earthquaker Devices
              Chase Bliss
              ...and probably two or three others I can't think of right now.

Some of them I tried two or tree times: the Walrus Audio Julia, Boss and Earthquaker Devices Sea Machine among them.

When I tried the Catalina, I thought "Wow! This is the one!" But then I had to try some others again and again (especially the Julia).

After about five years of experimenting, researching on the internet, watching YouTube demos, twiddling and tweaking, I came to realize that the Catalina is what I'm looking for. It is, as I stated, "little-known," but it suits me just right.

It won't leave my pedalboard ever again.

"Remarkable...." Yes.

Comment

For some reason, SD Pedals are off all of those lists, which is a shame, as all of the ones I've tried or own were better than the ones people always talk about.

Comment

Not a pedal user myself, but considering all Duncan pedals get stellar reviews, I think they just don't make it to any "Best ____ pedal" lists because of the brand itself, getting pigeonholed as a pickup maker who also produce something else.

I've always been curious about several Duncan pedals, but considering the tapdancing required for what I do, it isn't viable.
                  Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Great to have the choice !
                    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Indeed it is...they thought of everything.

Comment

I would like to see the Catalina repackaged w/o the dynamic expression feature; and in a smaller enclosure like the La Super Rica. One foot switch. I think that would sell much better than the current pedal. I know it makes it unique; but the chorus is awesome by itself. It's just not pedalboard friendly in it's current form.

Comment

I think the expression feature is what really makes it stand out among a whole lot of chorus pedals. Take that away, and you have another really great chorus pedal. I think if more people tried the expression feature, they would be hooked. It is really fun to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post

Not a pedal user myself, but considering all Duncan pedals get stellar reviews, I think they just don't make it to any "Best ____ pedal" lists because of the brand itself, getting pigeonholed as a pickup maker who also produce something else.

I've always been curious about several Duncan pedals, but considering the tapdancing required for what I do, it isn't viable.
                            Agreed and the same thing with PRS amps. The Tremonti amp and the Archon amps are awesome and don't get the attention they deserve because they are made by a "guitar company".
                            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Working...
                            X