Anyone else using the Silver Lake? Odd behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else using the Silver Lake? Odd behavior

So I just got a Silver Lake pedal today and I'm going thru it and finding very strange things with the factory presets (even after doing a complete reset to factory) that I suspect are glitches/corruption --- unless I just don't get it (which is possible). At first I was sure I got a duff pedal but I watched a YouTube demo and saw the exact same goofy behavior as mine.

First thing I notice is that many of the patches come up showing as edited and not saved -- and some of those presets sound terrible (static and cutting in and out) like something is wrong and couldn't possibly be what was intended. I discovered that if I tweak a few things to get them working and then save the patch, then it comes back correctly without the little "dot" showing that it's been edited. But if you don't save it - it will come back showing as edited even if you cycle around and call up the factory patch again (even if you reload the factory default patches)

Here's a specific example (if you have a silver lake, please try this): Patch 4C (this is one of the example patches in the manual that shows all the settings and how to tweak them). First of all 4C comes up as 4.C (indicating it's been edited and not saved) and it sounds horrible. It's supposed to cut off the initial attack and then swell in a delayed reverb (100% wet) that sounds like a bowed violin by adjusting the pre-delay) Now take the reverb-type knob (supposed to be pointing at DelayVerb) and twist it to "Room" and then twist it back to DelayVerb and everything has changed in a way that it is impossible to set things back where they were except to cycle thru the patches and back to 4C again - then you're back where you started. So patch 4C must have been created using some editor that has access to features you cannot access from the controls on the pedal (or it's a glitch in the firmware or a corrupted patch). I've found several other patches that if you change one knob and then try to put it back where it was, it cannot be put back --- nothing within that knob's range gets you back where you were before you twisted it. So edited at the factory with some tool with access to features the onboard controls can't access? Or the patch is corrupted? Or?

Re: Anyone else using the Silver Lake? Odd behavior

I have a silver lake but it’s not here at my house so I can’t try your experiment.
    However, I have not experienced any of these glitches you’re talking about.
    BUT....I don’t use the presets. I have 3-4 patches that I made and use for various sounds, switchable through midi.
    Have you tried updating the firmware? That’s where I would start.

Comment

This doesn't sound like normal behavior. Hopefully someone with one can do your experiment and confirm. If they confirm that it isn't normal, you can either return it for another one or contact SD directly (calling is best).
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        I have a silver lake but it’s not here at my house so I can’t try your experiment.
        However, I have not experienced any of these glitches you’re talking about.
        BUT....I don’t use the presets. I have 3-4 patches that I made and use for various sounds, switchable through midi.
        Have you tried updating the firmware? That’s where I would start.
        I have connected the Silver Lake to my computer thru USB and opened the SD software and the "UPDATE" button is not available to click on (it's there but greyed out) and according to the user manual that means I am already at the latest firmware. I've done the factory reset where you hold the recessed button with a paperclip and power the pedal on then use the SD software to erase and recover to factory settings. Still the same behavior. I watched a YouTube video where the guy went thru patches 3A to 4d and they had the exact same behavior as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          This doesn't sound like normal behavior. Hopefully someone with one can do your experiment and confirm. If they confirm that it isn't normal, you can either return it for another one or contact SD directly (calling is best).
          I contacted SD support yesterday and the person I got said he didn't have much experience with the Silver Lake but said he would take one home over the weekend and test it out.

Comment

I would still be curious to see if anyone here who has one can replicate it. I'd be interested in knowing whats up with it if SD themselves figure it out.

Comment

Well I spent more time with it today and figured out that the "Reverb Type" switch is intermittent. Sometimes it changes the setting and sometimes it doesn't. So when I was on patch 4C and would rotate to Room Reverb and then back to Delay Verb it wouldn't come back to the same Delay Verb setting.

Support isn't open on the weekend so I'll have to wait for Monday to see about getting a replacement. Not sure if that is why some of the patches are coming up with the "dot" indicating they have been edited and not saved - that may be a separate glitch.

Anyway my workaround (for now - just so I can enjoy playing with the pedal this weekend) is if I need a room reverb I start with patch 1A and if I need a plate reverb I start with patch 1C and so on --- all the other controls seem to edit just fine it's just the reverb type that I cannot control manually.

Comment

Thanks for the update. If SD replaces it, my guess is that they will tell you if/what is wrong with your current one. Maybe a faulty part.

Comment

Working...
                X