Pedal boards... again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal boards... again...

I’ve been building all sorts of crap lately, and decided a board was next. I know that fancy boards are all the rage, but I can’t get behind spending as much as a killer pedal costs on one.

My pedals are all currently daisy chained with a 1 Spot, with Planet Waves patch cables. Was gonna build a board this Sunday, but I went to see Chris Duarte do a clinic yesterday. His “board” was four or five pedals, daisy chained with a 1 Spot, laying on the floor. I commented on his fancy setup, he laughed and said he had a nice board back in the day, but had a pedal crap out mid-set and getting it out of the chain was a pain in the ass. Said he’d just “rolled like this since then.”

Dude wrote my favorite blues rock song ever, and was one of my first guitar heroes. If it’s good enough for him, I think I’ll stick with it.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Pedal boards... again...

I think there is something to be said for practicality. I've seen boards with 20 pedals on them. They were so close together, that if a patch cable died, it would be impossible to tell which one much less get the pedals off the board to fix it. One of my pedalsboards is plywood. The other was a used PedalTrain Jr. Things don't have to be fancy at all.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nothing wrong with using a 1-spot and daisy chaining for power.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My board is simple for the same reason -reliability

I got tired of fiddling with boards after traveling that day and the inability to quickly troubleshoot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-02-02 08.50.19.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	5817139
        Last edited by NegativeEase; 09-27-2019, 01:46 PM.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A6DA613E-0568-4DF0-927B-DF99FFB007FF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	5817136
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

^ Chris Duarte’s extravagant setup. Pardon the stupid sideways upload. That CE-2 is battered, but is an awesome Leslie simulation.

Comment

i have two pedal boards currently. one is battery powered and has sunface, dirty little secret mkii, and vapor trail. its mounted on a 1/4" x 10" x 6" piece of scrap wood. my other has a fulltone mas malo, phase 90, vox valvetone, wh green rhino, and deja vu. mounted on a 1/2" x 6" x 16" piece of scrap wood and powered by a one spot. i have another board that needs to get put together with a voodoo lab power supply, true bypass loops etc... but im lazy and what i have is workin fine. mounting everything on a plank with some velcro makes it easier to setup and tear down quickly or id be just as happy with the floor method

Comment

^ incidentally, glad the Phase 90 and Rhino are working for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]101131[/ATTACH]
                  Honestly, I don't like this approach either -this was my approach in the 90s and it created as many problems as it solved.

power jacks kicked out, TLS jacks bents, pedals sliding, tripping etc etc.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The point of a board to me is ease of setup- I don't have to hook everything together all the time.

Comment

Yeah definitely plenty of pros and cons to having the pedal board. I've had the whole problem of a pedal or patch cable going bad mid-set happen to me and it can be really frustrating to troubleshoot on a tightly packed and wired board. Plus I have to have a few different pedal boards in my arsenal since I play with a bunch of different bands and sessions and I don't really just want one giant board with a million pedals on there that'll work for everything, it's just too cumbersome. At the same time, many of the gigs I play are at festivals where having a quick load-on/load-off stage is imperative, and it's so much easier just picking up a pedal board and getting it all offstage quickly in one neat piece. Also lately I've done 80% of my gigs with the PowerStage 170 as my amp so it's easier having that on a board than just sitting on the stage. For me the best solution is having several small boards that are compact, quick and easier to troubleshoot is the key.
                      I also don't care for the whole idea of just loosely putting pedals on the stage because I've wound up losing more patch cables, OneSpots and even pedals in the past in the rushed madness of the quick teardown offstage and load-out. As my pedals have gotten more expensive, I've gotten more protective of them! lol

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        Nothing wrong with using a 1-spot and daisy chaining for power.
                        ...until there is something wrong with it?

For home playing, stringing daisy chains and patch cables is fine. I’m glad it’s working for him, but putting together a good board was great for playing outside of the house.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          ...until there is something wrong with it?

For home playing, stringing daisy chains and patch cables is fine. I’m glad it’s working for him, but putting together a good board was great for playing outside of the house.
                          You can put together a good board for playing outside the house with 1-spots. I've been using 1-spots for more than fifteen years now, and am currently powering seven pedals with two of them. No noise issues from my board. Quick and easy setup when gigging. I can run all the pedals from a single 1-spot in a pinch if a problem was to arise.

What issues specifically have you run into with 1-spots while playing out? I've heard of certain poorly designed pedals introducing noise into a daisy chain . . . if you've got multiple extremely high current draw pedals and didn't figure out your power requirements you might run into issues too. Aside from that what is there?
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I use a 1 spot to power a Line 6 M9, and have for like 10 years in all sorts of venues. It has always worked fine.

Comment

Well, for ultra backup I have a 5 pedal board of JUST Mooers - no trouble shooting; Guitar to board, board to front of amp (or DI to house), done!

But even my big board didn't have stuff packed so damn tight I couldn't undo anything fast or jiggle something to find the offending box/circuit/cable.

My loop multi-fx is one pedal, and just wah, amp channel with and one/two others...actually going to board them but just "on a board"
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X